Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help on debate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Help on debate

Ok, found a 2001 PT Limited ( silver/leather ) guy says it needs new timing belt as the onld one didn't break but jumped a tooth ( what he says )
So should I chance it? I know Ill need to buy a timing belt/water pump kit and install it, what is your opinion at $1200... Im thinking to offer $6-$800 since its not running and doesn't know anything about the cae other than it has 190K on the clock.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Help on debate

I would find out what a junk yard would pay and offer him that amount, maybe a little more if the car is in unusually good condition. With that many miles, there could be quite a few expensive issues you won't know about until you get it running.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 03:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamfir2 View Post
I would find out what a junk yard would pay and offer him that amount, maybe a little more if the car is in unusually good condition. With that many miles, there could be quite a few expensive issues you won't know about until you get it running.
The car looks brand new in and out which amazes me...not a scratch, immaculate leather interior...cleaner than clean. wow !
Just high mileage, junk yard usually pays 350-500 around here depending on the vehicle, mainly 350 non running and 500 running.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 04:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Help on debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
guy says it needs new timing belt as the onld one didn't break but jumped a tooth ( what he says )
Always remember..........Someone selling a car will ALWAYS make it sound better than it really is.........JMHO
Old 28 Jun 2013, 05:39 pm
Banned

I sold my civic and the owners were ecstatic to get it. I put seat covers on the seats when I bought it. I removed them when I was selling it and the interior looked brand new. And I had all of the maintenance records starting from the first oil change to the last. It was all in the folder

No puffing necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Always remember..........Someone selling a car will ALWAYS make it sound better than it really is.........JMHO
Old 28 Jun 2013, 06:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
I agree, I just messaged him and said to have the belt replaced with water pump, possibly all mounts as well and other belts gonna cost me 2500 to 3000+ and if he would take 600 cash for it....
Old 28 Jun 2013, 06:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yup, this guy is trying to dress up a turd. Telling me the mechanic told him the timing belt jumped a tooth and has 190K on the clock. So as I said the waterpump usually goes out with the belt or close to it, that its required to change it at that time. Now he says the timing belt isnts inside with the water pump it is outside the motor.... no that's the alt/PS belts...
He is trying to say what is...isn't... hmmmmmmm getting fishy, I know how these things are built.
Guess I better listen to you guys and run
Old 28 Jun 2013, 06:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

He messaged back said he wont go any lower than 800
I said to let me think it over as its a lot of money for something that doesn't run....

Lets see what you guys have to say... Ill put pics up in a minute here

Ok scratch that.... he just got all smart assed with me, dropped him like a rock.

He just messaged me with... well they got them on craigslist for $3000 why don't you buy one of them then.
I messaged back with..
If I had 3K to drop on one I would, tell you what, Lets just forget this deal ever existed, good luck in your sale, salvage yard will give you $350 cash.

Last edited by sonocativo; 28 Jun 2013 at 06:56 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2013, 06:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Help on debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
He messaged back said he wont go any lower than 800
I said to let me think it over as its a lot of money for something that doesn't run....

Lets see what you guys have to say... Ill put pics up in a minute here

Ok scratch that.... he just got all smart assed with me, dropped him like a rock.

He just messaged me with... well they got them on craigslist for $3000 why don't you buy one of them then.
I messaged back with..
If I had 3K to drop on one I would, tell you what, Lets just forget this deal ever existed, good luck in your sale, salvage yard will give you $350 cash.
#2.) Remember what a seller says they will take is always higher than they'll settle for.....I used to work @ a used car stealership!(In the serv. dept.)
Old 28 Jun 2013, 08:23 pm
Young Cruiser

For $3k you could get one that's not broken. That sucks he turned out to be an ass. Good luck in your search, I just missed out on one they were asking $1k for, said the cooling fan wasn't working.