Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear sway bar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2013, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear sway bar

I'm really confused. I ordered new front and rear sway bar bushings and links for my '06 GT (it has 112,000 miles and there's too much body roll and some clunking), and after looking underneath it appears that there's no rear sway bar. I just assumed there was one, but someone said that they come from the factory without it. Is this true?
Old 03 Jul 2013, 11:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear sway bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd1991 View Post
I'm really confused. I ordered new front and rear sway bar bushings and links for my '06 GT (it has 112,000 miles and there's too much body roll and some clunking), and after looking underneath it appears that there's no rear sway bar. I just assumed there was one, but someone said that they come from the factory without it. Is this true?
I've got the '06 GT Vert and no, no rear anti-sway bar! On the 2005's, it appears there are some that have them and some that don't, and I'm not certain about the one's prior to '05.

When you look at the '06 PT Parts Catalogs, they show the rear sway bar but realistically, there are only a few out there that came from the factory installed. Chrysler, being the world's greatest dumb@$$e$$, decided, "hey, they have Watts-Links on the rear, so what do they need sway bars for?". Stupid, dumb, ridiculous, asinine.

Another thing, the Watts Links, they tend to need to have the rubbers replaced around every 70k miles, they wear a lot.
Old 03 Jul 2013, 11:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. And I already have the Watts link, which I was going to install when I was doing the bushings.
Old 04 Jul 2013, 12:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Watts link has several parts, 3 main Componets. Most only replace the bell crank?
If you are only replacing it don't forget spend a few extra bucks and get a new bolt and nut.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Jul 2013, 07:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

01 and 02 for sure had one. Don't know if they came after that . My 03 dream does not. They were supposed to have all options. So i'm guessing you had to buy and install after 02'! The factory mounts are there.

Here is mounted on an 04. Only need to fond a nut for the mounting brackets on the rear axle.

Not to ruffle any feathers on this, but here is a watts link bolt with 200k on it. The one that's not bent. I used to replace the other one in the picture. Just me on that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 04 Jul 2013 at 07:52 am.
Old 04 Jul 2013, 07:55 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Rear sway bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
01 and 02 for sure had one. Don't know if they came after that . My 03 dream does not. They were supposed to have all options. So i'm guessing you had to buy and install after 02'! The factory mounts are there.
If my 2003 PT Base doesn't have one,I know it will help with body roll & lean;But would it also help lessen wear on the Watts Link/Bell Crank?.....&.....Do you know here can I find a good one online(or brick & mortar like AZ,O'reilly,Advance,etc.) for a reasonable price?(I don't really need racing or high performance)
Old 04 Jul 2013, 08:04 am
Banned

I thought Chrysler only cheaped out and made an inferior product on the Gen2
Old 04 Jul 2013, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
If my 2003 PT Base doesn't have one,I know it will help with body roll & lean;But would it also help lessen wear on the Watts Link/Bell Crank?.....&.....Do you know here can I find a good one online(or brick & mortar like AZ,O'reilly,Advance,etc.) for a reasonable price?(I don't really need racing or high performance)
I used a original 01 in this. There plenty of after market ones. Ask Nitro on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I thought Chrysler only cheaped out and made an inferior product on the Gen2
Na they took a few this there to. Just not as bad as the 2ed gen. We still have the good seats, wiring, looks, and just about every thing else.

Kool that you recognize the superiority of the first gen PTs. Atta boy for you!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com