PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT automatic unlocking oO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2013, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT automatic unlocking oO

Hi there guys,

I am glad i found this forum. Month ago I bought my first car, and it's beautiful red PT Cruiser 2.0 2002.

For over a month i noticed that i have really serious problem. My car is unlocking it self. First I thought that i forgot to lock it, but no. It keeping unlocking few times per day.

My car is in front of my building and if someone just look at him can notice that car is unlocked.

I am from Serbia, I am not sure is there any professionals mechanics for PT, so I am asking for your help.

Tnx in advance.

Stefan
Old 05 Jul 2013, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT automatic unlocking oO

Went looking around for your problem with other owners. Usually what I found is the doors wood lock and unlock by themselves. The three answers I could find for that problem was a bad battery (if it starts to go bad/low it does all kinds of things), the RKEM (Remote Keyless Entry Module) located in the dash and the master locking switch in the drivers door (you can lock and unlock all door from that door).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2013, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Tnx for your replay.

When you say bad battery, on what battery you mean ? On remote device, or there is some batter for that in car.

I gonna research about RKEM more.

And about master locking switch, what about it ? U mean that "master locking switch" can make trouble ? I dont even need key to access my car . I just go outside, check if car is unlocked, and ofc it is. So, I locked it with master locking switch.
Old 06 Jul 2013, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I mean the regular battery that runs the car. If it starts to wear down, funny things happen. Make sure it's putting out the correct voltage.

I can only speak for the U.S. cars and maybe speaking for mine only but the key hole in the drivers door (on mine) opens either the drivers door (one turn) or all 3 other doors plus the rear hatch (2nd turn of the key). It can lock everything too. So it can control the opening and closing of all the locks. I wold think if the mechanism inside the door goes bad (somehow) it can cause the other doors to lock or unlock.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 01:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to mjoppen
Post Re: PT automatic unlocking oO

I had the same problem, and since I had a remote starter installed, I thought that to be the problem. After having the remote starter re-installed, I still had the same problem. The fuses all looked okay, but I bought new ones and he problem went away. Moral of the story is that even though the fuses LOOK okay, they may not be. I hope this helps.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 10:46 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree about the battery possibly being the cause of the problem. When my battery would get low, my door locks would lock and unlock, sometimes rapidly over and over again within a few seconds while I stood there and watched it happen. It is because so much is controlled by electronics so when the power drops below a certain level, the control modules freak out and begin to trigger all kinds of things.

We are talking about the big, main 12 volt battery. Have it tested or replaced.

Tags
automatic unlocking, unlocking