Question Stumpt P0303 error code

Misfire on cylinder 3.

2006 PT Touring just over 100k miles

Done in order.
1. Changed Plugs
2. Changed Wires
3. Changed Coil Pack
4. Changed ECU
5. Checked Compression (all cylinders very close)
6. Checked Voltages at Coil Pack (normal) and to Fuel Injectors (normal)
7. Changed all fuel injectors
8. Replaced Gas Cap

This is a Non Turbo. I really can't figure this one out. Sometimes below a quarter tank the light will go off but will return after filling the tank. Sometimes it never goes off. When the computer is reset it runs smooth for 3-4 minutes then the misfiring starts. You can see it in the engine. The plugs are all wearing the same. I have swapped them between cylinders to see if the problem migrates.... No dice. Wires work fine too. I swapped 2 and 3.

After the computer is reset the misfire can be brought on even quicker by putting the idling engine under load (turning on the A/C compressor for example).

Wires are 9.2mm copper, Coil Pack is OEM, 0.040 gapped copper plugs. ECU is brand new from Dodge. Fuel Injectors are OEM aftermarket.

I have put way to much money into this stupid code, I have checked everything I can think of. If anyone else has any ideas how to get rid of this code and bring my smooth running engine back please let me know.

Thanks!!
Old 07 Jul 2013, 01:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stumpt P0303 error code

You've checked or changed about everything most of us would tell you to do except checking the upper and lower intake for any cracks around cylinder #3 and check the red oblong gaskets between the upper and lower intakes to see if they are good and the intakes are making good contact.
randyincctx likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jul 2013, 01:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Stumpt P0303 error code

This may help....It was posted by CREWZIN on April 19,2012 in this thread: P0303 engine code "You can try the WD-40 trick of spraying the upper and lower manifold while the engine is running and see if there's a change in idle.....Check all the vacuum lines carefully to see if there's any cracks or leaks too."
Old 12 Jul 2013, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a P0301 for a few months now with CEL illuminated on a 2007 base - rough idle and CEL will blink but revving over 1500 rpm for about 10 secs stops the flashing CEL.

~85k mi

I replaced the plugs for maintenance before the CEL came on because they were factory and the engine didn't seem to be smooth - of course now it idles horrible. (I started with platinums but replaced them with coppers double checking gap -> no change in fault)

I also checked for vacuum leaks by spraying the intake with starting fluid, swapped plugs and wires from cylinders. Was at the point where I was gonna swap injectors but ordered a fuel pressure gauge instead cause I don't want to crack open the coolant system if I don't have to.

Just bought a Actron cp9580 and have been diagnosing and watching youtube vids (scannerdanner) -> nothing yet but when I figure something out, I'll let ya know!

Last edited by masterrichie; 12 Jul 2013 at 12:53 am.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 03:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Tec; your compression test and the fact that the engine runs well at some time says the engine itself is good. Changing the cam sensor and the magnet might be worth a try. Any piece of magnetic crud in there could cause an intermittent problem. Also, check wiring to any engine sensor. Also, clean and grease the 'spider' grounds on the inner fender panel behind the battery.

Swapping #2 and #3 wires might not tell you much, as they both fire at the same time [waste spark system]. However, I've read 2 conflicting stories about the cylinder numbers. Good luck.