Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Smog Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2013, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Smog Question

I took out my air filter box and added a cold air intake and k&n filter back in 2008, I need to smog my car this year and I no longer have my factory stuff, a smog buddy of mine said it will be a problem, does anyone have suggestions, or know if it will actually be a problem for me?
Old 07 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Smog Question

how long do you have before you have to go get inspected?
Old 07 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

CALIFORNIA and emission regulations are the strictest of any other state! that said unless you have a C.A.R.B certificate anything that is modified or changed from factory even simple cosmetic parts regardless of the effect under the hood can fail the visual.

I am not current with my smog certification inspector Technician for a few years but still get my California BAR Smog update regulations.

Just get a stock air box and don't hassle with failing change it back later.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Jul 2013, 12:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just got my renewal in the mail last week, its due the first part of August. So I guess I need to make some trips to a junkyard and try and find a box...yay! thanks for the help!
Old 07 Jul 2013, 04:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yes, you most likely will have a problem. you need a certifacation sticker. I had a problem with the smog test here in calif. Went home and switched back to my factory air filter. Passed smog test. I called AIRAID and told them my problem, AIRAID is the type of cold air intake on my 2006. AIRAID CO. advised me to e-mail picture of my airaid to them as proof they then sent me a certfied calif sticker for future smog test. hope this helps.
Old 07 Jul 2013, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTColossus View Post
I just got my renewal in the mail last week, its due the first part of August. So I guess I need to make some trips to a junkyard and try and find a box...yay! thanks for the help!

You are lucky that here in California we have more Auto Recycles with national listings then any other state. See Ranch Cordova California for Auto Recyclers listings.
Also you can try this depending on the model of your PT?

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...pscad4922b.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT View Post
Yes, you most likely will have a problem. you need a certifacation sticker. I had a problem with the smog test here in calif. Went home and switched back to my factory air filter. Passed smog test. I called AIRAID and told them my problem, AIRAID is the type of cold air intake on my 2006. AIRAID CO. advised me to e-mail picture of my airaid to them as proof they then sent me a certfied calif sticker for future smog test. hope this helps.
Sorry to tell you but in California this will not always work. If a smog certification center logs you into the BAR and see's any questionable parts regardless of a C.A.R.B. they have the right to fail the visual and that would require you to go to a California SMOG certification center for the inspection and testing. This is not only a waste of time for you but these CA certified centers will look at everything carefully.

A BAD misconception that many think in California that if you have a C.A.R.B. approved part that you will get passed from an independent smog licence shop! Because of the heavy fines and possible jail time now for Technicians and owners of shops that get caught violating the emission requirements for a vehicles smog certification they are getting more apt to pass you on to a California SMOG certification center.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Jul 2013 at 04:27 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 12:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks all for the help!
Old 10 Jul 2013, 01:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I was a smog tech in CA. also a very long time ago and yes CA is a PIA and there is alot of stuff you can't do to a car because of the "visual" inspection thing but there are rules.

My PT is with the wife so I can't check but look at the sticker to see what smog gear is on the car. Most likely it doesn't say anything about the air filter(housing) and will say something about the MAP sensor so if you change it from a MAP( Manifold Absolute Pressure)sensor to a MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) that would be a fail because the cars has to have a MAP sensor.

I think with FI cars the air filter housing is no longer an issue? With carburetors it was an issue because the carbs had to have a thermostatically controlled flapper value in the air cleaner housing, TCS or something like that. The TCS"would" be listed on the smog sticker as part of the smog gear,

FI cars don't use that and they will be looking for everything that is on the sticker.

It's been 16 years since I was doing smog and yes they could always fail it on the visual...case closed. But it wouldn't hurt to make some calls.

On my Porsche 944 I had a short ram on it FI motor ( Iwas,nt a smog tech at the time) and it passed without an issue, that's when I looked at the sticker and saw no mention of the air cleaner assembly on the sticker, so it was'nt required but if they have tightened up on the visual it would be an issue.

Wow well that was kinda long winded but oh well.
Old 10 Jul 2013, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

All air cleaner's under regulated tested vehicles must be enclosed it has always been that way in California.

If you look at the current California smog mandates and regulations specifically what is complaint then you can understand what I previously posted?

You are no longer going to get a break in California with regards to emission testing!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Jul 2013, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
All air cleaner's under regulated tested vehicles must be enclosed it has always been that way in California.

If you look at the current California smog mandates and regulations specifically what is complaint then you can understand what I previously posted?

You are no longer going to get a break in California with regards to emission testing!
That's why I love only the people there.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com