Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Fog Lights Stay on, Drain Battery

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2013, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog Lights Stay on, Drain Battery

The fog lights on our 2005 PT stay on sometimes and drain the battery. I jump the battery and after a while they go off. I saw this post from a few years ago but never saw any other. Has anyone else had this problem and is Chrysler aware of this? Has there been a recall on it at all? We bought this car a few months ago and have had no other issues. Thanks

My wife's 2004 PT had the same problem. It turned out that the On-Off switch for the Fog Lights was malfunctioning. The lights would turn on when using the turn signals....and sometimes, would stay on after she parked the car. During the day, she did not notice them being on, resulting in a dead battery. The switch itself gradually got worse and would turn on/off the fog lights intermittently. We got the switch replace ( not cheap ) and now the problem is solved.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 11:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fog Lights Stay on, Drain Battery

It's called the Multi-function switch (stalk) and there's been hundreds if not thousands of owners with the same problem. The inner workings of the switch are made very badly and it time some smaller parts burn out leaving the switch in the ON position and draining the battery. We have a HOW TO posting on a way of fixing the switch itself or, as you found out, just replacing the switch altogether. If you shop around, there's a variety of different prices you can find for a brand new switch.

Not sure why some of them burn out in a matter of a couple years of being brand new. My PT is 13 years old and I use the fogs quite a bit yet it works fine. Same with the front wheel bearings. Still running with the originals with 115K where others have replaced theirs, sometimes twice in that amount of miles.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Jul 2013 at 11:03 am.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. Is it an easy part to replace? I'd have to take a look at how the stalk is connected to the steering column.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 03:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Fog Lights Stay on, Drain Battery

If a picture is worth 1,000 words,a video is worth 1,000,000 words!.....
Old 13 Jul 2013, 06:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

All the above info is spot on. It's an easy replacement to do while sitting in the comfort of the driver's seat. An eBay or Google search will turn them up at all kinds of prices. I've changed one on my Cruiser and another on my wife's Grand Cherokee, not because they failed but because I added factory fogs.

I'm starting to believe the reason some MFS last forever on some cars and not so long on others is because some people are just unconsciously attempting to switch the headlights and the fogs in one motion, which is rougher on the switch than turning on the headlights first and only after that, gently pulling out the fog part of the switch. The action should be in 2 steps, two different directions and gentle enough so that nothing is subjected to excessive wear. With good habits, the MFS should easily last as long as the car.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 08:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Fog Lights Stay on, Drain Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I'm starting to believe the reason some MFS last forever on some cars and not so long on others is because some people are just unconsciously attempting to switch the headlights and the fogs in one motion, which is rougher on the switch than turning on the headlights first and only after that, gently pulling out the fog part of the switch. The action should be in 2 steps, two different directions and gentle enough so that nothing is subjected to excessive wear. With good habits, the MFS should easily last as long as the car.
My MFS is 10+ years old,and even though the markings are worn some it works just fine.....But,of course I don't have factory fog lights either;So you may be 100% correct!
Old 14 Jul 2013, 05:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Upon having mine apart a few times, I have found it is (at least on mine), a current draw issue.

Both times the little pin molded on the end of the lever that pushes on a spring loaded contact to turn off the fogs, has definite signs of overheating and literally melts the pin. Hence not shutting off the fogs.

And the other issue is, the other end of the same lever is where the actual switch (stalk) pushes on wears down, which also adds to the switching off problem. This one is not heat related, just two surfaces rubbing and the grease in the area not being able to lubricate enough.

My PT had both these issues, and the final fix for me was to epoxy both the pin and the flat surface.

As long as the epoxy holds up, is should last.

If it don't, I might just run a relay to the circuit to cut down the current draw. Which is what should be there already.PT fog light fix 1.jpg

PT fog light fix 2.jpg
Old 15 Jul 2013, 11:47 am
Regular Cruiser

I repaired one on my wife's car using the information available here and it works fine, but the one in my car had just melted the plastic parts. I removed the contacts to make sure nothing could short out in future and added a push button switch on the dash near the mirror switches. When I turn this on the light in the speedo comes on to remind me.

Of course I could still leave it on and drain the battery, but that would be just stupid of me.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 12:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

My understanding is that on the 01-05's the full current draw from the foglights runs through the switch thus causing the issues.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Dreaded MFS issues