Advertisements
Automatic to Manual questions

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By booktaz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2013, 09:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Automatic to Manual questions

I hope someone out there will be able to answer my questions.
First we are working on 2002 PT Cruiser automatic. We switched out the transmissions. Also the computer and also used the download that someone was so kind to share to run the sensor links back to the computer.
The only thing we didn't change was the ignition switch and the main computer.
We also put in new bushings but that is not part of my question.
It took my son some time to get what was needed together and the car has been seating there for almost 6 months; we finished putting the electrical together and wanted to test to see if the computers would accept the change; we go error 1964 which indicates that the battery has been disconnected the last 50 start cycles. But the starter won't turn over. We are scratching our heads here. The back lights work but we have no idea as to why it won't start. We will try jumping or recharging battery tomorrow but if there is another issue someone out there might know of that we didn't think of to address; would you be so kind as to replying to this post and letting us know. Thank you.
We didn't reconnect the neutral safety switch that went to the automatic; would this also be the cause of the starting issue. By the way in case anyone is wondering we switched from automatic to manual transmission.

Last edited by booktaz; 13 Jul 2013 at 10:37 pm. Reason: more information to share
Old 14 Jul 2013, 11:15 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Automatic to Manual questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by booktaz View Post
We didn't reconnect the neutral safety switch that went to the automatic; this would be the cause of the starting issue.
And to be accurate; it's a cranking issue, we don't actually know if it will or won't start. ( Push down hill & Bump start!?)

You answered your own question I think
Old 16 Jul 2013, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have more detail so maybe I can get an answer to my dilemma eek:
First off the PT Cruiser is up on jack stands we are putting in polyurethane bushings (not going any where).
We switched transmission same year 2002 different models automatic to manual.
We tried with the new computer and no starting sound the starter doesn't even act like it wants to turn over. Put in old comp. to see if it would recognize ; even error codes would be a welcome; at this point, and start or at least turn over. Nothing!
Taking battery in to autozone see if it needs a charge or maybe a new battery. BTW lights work, radio works but maybe not enough power.
Would like suggestions as to why key will not activate starter if the battery isn't the issue.
Thank you for looking and if this post is in the wrong area MOD please move accordingly.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 01:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

where do you live? if you're in chicagoland i can stop by so you may try my 2002 ECU.

there's a bunch of wires on the overly complicated design of the neutral safety switch. i'd like to punch whoever designed that.

did you try turning the key to run and jumping the starter solenoid? or push starting it? <- i'd try this stuff first. if it works just get one of those fancy start buttons and bypass the horribly designed ridiculously complex safety switch all together.

Last edited by rob342; 16 Jul 2013 at 01:47 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just got back from autozone had to leave battery doesn't really need a charge but it has been sitting for over 6 months decided to charge it any way, better safe than sorry. Bought the items to bypass the starter safety switch will work on that in a few. The car is up on jacks not going anywhere. I am thinking I need to flash the new computer (been reading a lot on computer problems) and found out that each car has its own VIN for the starter to work so there went the computer for the manual transmission. I'm in Texas.(Central)
So right now I'm going to try to by pass the starter switch and hope that we can go from there.
My son did the wiring from the manual that we downloaded earlier and kudos to the person that shared very detailed.
I don't do wiring my last transmission exchange most cars barely had the electric windows :P. the only wiring was for the lights and starter no computer any where in the car.
So I am no help when it comes to this. My only concern and I did bring this up is that since he wired for the new comp would the old one have issues with it. But was told that they send info to the same pin position.
So if any one out there has a suggestion while i'm setting up the by pass switch feel free to leave a comment.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 02:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

the car will still crank with the wrong key, it just shuts off after a few seconds. not all PT's have a chip in the key. my 2002 5 speed does not. if the manual ECU you purchased came out of a 2002 base model with no power locks, it probably has no chip in its key either. i believe if you need a chipped key a security idiot light will flash on the instrument panel
Old 20 Jul 2013, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Automatic to Manual questions

All I can say is woot woot!! The bypass switch worked. Haven't been able to work on it for the past couple of days; its been raining cats and dogs here in mid Texas.
Now we got it turn over but have not allowed to run for any kind of time; mainly because it has been sitting for over 6 months. Changing oil and anti-freeze before we actually allow it to stay on.
My son will explain later how he wired the manual into the old harness using the download that we used off this forum.
The car started with the manual transmission computer mounted.
The bypass starter switch is used to bypass the safety locks that are in steering column. Other than that I have no clue how to explain it.
Thank you for looking
rob342 likes this.