Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt replacement and other parts Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2013, 12:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt replacement and other parts Pics

I finally got some money and took the PT to my mechanic and had the timing belt set replaced. It is very hot here in the Phoenix area and I didn't want to be stranded on the road with a busted belt. Changed out at 106+k

He also changed two struts and a motor mount. He showed me the struts and wow, no wonder we had a vibration in the steering and it seemed that the car was always in a low gear even thought it was in 5th gear. I could feel the vibs in the steering wheel and the disabled card on the rear view mirror would buzz. I think we are good for a while now. See photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (99.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg badpart.jpg (65.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 15 Jul 2013, 01:12 am
Banned

Exclamation Re: Timing belt replacement and other parts Pics

In Texas it is illegal to drive with the handicap placard on the rear view mirror

Even states it on the placard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizcruiser View Post
I finally got some money and took the PT to my mechanic and had the timing belt set replaced. It is very hot here in the Phoenix area and I didn't want to be stranded on the road with a busted belt. Changed out at 106+k

He also changed two struts and a motor mount. He showed me the struts and wow, no wonder we had a vibration in the steering and it seemed that the car was always in a low gear even thought it was in 5th gear. I could feel the vibs in the steering wheel and the disabled card on the rear view mirror would buzz. I think we are good for a while now. See photos.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 01:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt replacement and other parts Pics

Busa; in Arizona it is also illegal to drive with the placard on the rear view mirror; unless you can show proof that you are legally blind.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 02:50 am
Banned

It's amazing you have time to visit with us during your worldwide comedy tour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Busa; in Arizona it is also illegal to drive with the placard on the rear view mirror; unless you can show proof that you are legally blind.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 07:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
In Texas it is illegal to drive with the handicap placard on the rear view mirror

Even states it on the placard
Not is AZ! We can have GPS mounted on windshield. No one cares. You should see some of the things that hang off Rview mirrors here. The only problem I have is the blind spots. They cover the whole car when I drive
Old 15 Jul 2013, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the car runs good now but it is overheating. I replaced the T-stat and Rad Cap the other day and the 2 speed AC fan replaced 2 years ago and it is cycling like it should. The rad. fan turns on.

My mechanic drove it around the other day when he completed the work and ran with AC on and he said that it didn't overheat but he didn't take it on the freeway. He said something that I am thinking-Head Gasket-just what I don't want to think or hear. I guess repairs are cheaper than a car payment!
Old 16 Jul 2013, 02:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Ariz; It could simply be air in the cooling system. The air bleeder under the thermostat only allows some of the air to escape. The air trapped in the head requires a few hot/cold cycles to get rid of. One of the good guys copied the explanation on this sight about a month ago. Well worth reading.

At 105 degrees [higher on the roads], the cooling system is working pretty hard.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 03:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Busa; Thanks for the comment. --- Now, how do I explain this stupid grin on my face?
Old 16 Jul 2013, 08:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

if it gets hot when running down the highway at highway speeds its not fan related more like a plugged radiator

hey in Mo we hang deer heads from our rearview mirror---lol
but you are not supposed to have a handicapped sign
Old 17 Jul 2013, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re:Overheating Update Timing belt replacement and other parts Pics

Overheating Update
My mechanic changed out the radiator and put in a 195 degree t-stat. He drove it around with air on and stayed right in the middle for him. He is having me drive it for a while to see what it will do. We will take it to work and go from there. It is only 104 in the Phoenix area so it really isn't that hot.

(by AZ standards and with a 65 degree dew point and 35% humidity, it feels like 106. I call it a warm wet blanket. So no crying in the NE where the temps are 90 degrees, Dew point of 70 and RH of 90+ YOU WILL EVENTUALLY COOL DOWN! we won't until October but I digress)

I did drive it from the garage to a freeway that I knew had traffic so I could see what it would do and the needle never moved above the mid line and this was with AC on full. I did get up to speed momentarily and all looked good for now