PT Cruiser Forum  
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Not cranking but have power

 
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 47
Unhappy Not cranking but have power

Hi all,

So I'm in that "my POS cruiser won't start" stage of ownership.

Symptoms include not starting! It'll run fine, but it doesn't crank. Not even a peep from a relay. It's worse when it's hot out, and now it's not even trying.
I have a new battery (old one was a walmart special that leaked at the positive terminal)
I was able to activate the starter by using a 12V line to the small connector plug on the solenoid of the starter (Yay starter passed)
Also, when the wife turned the key, no signal. so it's between the battery and the solenoid.
Part of me wants to think it's the ignition switch behind the key, but I don't see that a common failure.
I hear ramblings about the TIPM, corroded harnesses, and relays.
Most auto parts stores say I don't have a TIPM and they sold me a relay, however I can't find it's location to test, let alone replace.

Any other thoughts?

i'm just very nervous about replacing a VERY expensive part ($1K @ dealer, 408 Autozone +$200 core) when we have a surgery tomorrow, and A/C that is being replaced, and a mother in law that we owe $8K
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2013, 09:09 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 9,059
Default Re: Not cranking but have power

Quote:
Originally Posted by eline65 View Post
Hi all,

So I'm in that "my POS cruiser won't start" stage of ownership.

Symptoms include not starting! It'll run fine, but it doesn't crank. Not even a peep from a relay. It's worse when it's hot out, and now it's not even trying.
I have a new battery (old one was a walmart special that leaked at the positive terminal)
I was able to activate the starter by using a 12V line to the small connector plug on the solenoid of the starter (Yay starter passed)
Also, when the wife turned the key, no signal. so it's between the battery and the solenoid.
Part of me wants to think it's the ignition switch behind the key, but I don't see that a common failure.
I hear ramblings about the TIPM, corroded harnesses, and relays.
Most auto parts stores say I don't have a TIPM and they sold me a relay, however I can't find it's location to test, let alone replace.

Any other thoughts?

i'm just very nervous about replacing a VERY expensive part ($1K @ dealer, 408 Autozone +$200 core) when we have a surgery tomorrow, and A/C that is being replaced, and a mother in law that we owe $8K
We need to know as much as the auto parts store. We have no idea what you own. Year model ect. Mileage. I'm thinking your right On the ignition.
__________________

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jul 2013, 09:14 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,483
Talking Re: Not cranking but have power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
We have no idea what you own.
You mean to tell me 'Carnac the Magnificent' isn't a member?.......LOL
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2013, 03:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 47
Default Re: Not cranking but have power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
We need to know as much as the auto parts store. We have no idea what you own. Year model etc. Mileage. I'm thinking you're right On the ignition.
Sorry, it's a 2006 Touring w/ 140K miles. Auto Zone, Napa, and the O'Reilly in my area stores don't show a TIPM as part of my car (even when I show it to them) I returned the "starter relay" that O'Reilly sold me.

And an update, when I move the shifter, I get a 70% success rate on getting the starter to work with the key. Starter still works great when I apply 12V to the solderless connector on the solenoid. So I'm thinking of narrowing it down to the position sensor, but still want other peoples thoughts before proceeding.

Thanks,

Last edited by eline65; 01 Aug 2013 at 11:31 am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 31 Jul 2013, 03:43 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,483
Question Re: Not cranking but have power

You still didn't say whether you have an automatic or manual transmission?......You mentioned 'a shifter' but both transmissions have shifters.
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2013, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 47
Default Re: Not cranking but have power

Opps! It's an automatic. I move the shifter from Park to 1st, then to Park again.

The car stranded my wife and 5yo girl in Tempe last week because of this. The aftermarket remote key popped open after repeated tries to start the car. So while my bypass switch did turn the engine (with the help of a store employee to figure it out while talking to her on a cell phone), it wouldn't stay running without that RFID chip near the ignition switch. My darling wife didn't understand how the chip works and that she needed to put the key back together (or even knew how for that matter) so she was stuck.

So now she doesn't trust my "POS" cruiser to go fetch her Kia that broke down Monday 125 miles from home in the middle of BFE, with no cell service.

[sarcasm]I don't understand why she wouldn't want to be stranded a 3rd time in one month![/sarcasm]

Thus, I'm anxious to get this fixed.

Oh and the a/c I was refering to was for the home. And the surgery went well btw.

Last edited by eline65; 01 Aug 2013 at 11:51 am. Reason: more informaton
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,483
Lightbulb Re: Not cranking but have power

OK....Now I think understand what it might be....I have heard of Gen-2 (and Gen-1 also) PT Cruisers having problems with the SKIM module going bad,and I think it makes it worse on Gen2 because of the Can-Buss system.......But,some of the guys may have another idea if it could be something else,but I think my idea is at least in the right ballpark based on the info you've provided.
See:
http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/6...on-switch.html
Also see: http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/4...r-started.html
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2013, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 47
Default Re: Not cranking but have power

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
OK....Now I think understand what it might be....I have heard of Gen-2 (and Gen-1 also) PT Cruisers having problems with the SKIM module going bad,and I think it makes it worse on Gen2 because of the Can-Buss system.......But,some of the guys may have another idea if it could be something else,but I think my idea is at least in the right ballpark based on the info you've provided.

See:
http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/6...on-switch.html
This might be a possibility. I know the SKIM prevents the car from running, but I think it still allows the starter to turn the engine. I saw this when my locksmith was encoding new keys for the car over a year ago. The unrecognized key wouldn't allow the car to keep running, and the red "armed" light would blink when the ignition was.

It's also what my wife experienced the other week (and it's heard while on the phone with her that day) when the remote key opened and the internal electronics fell to the floor of the car, so my wife put them on the passenger seat. All she was using at this point was an empty remote case with the key. A little like this but it was cut for the tumblers
http://www.keyless-remotes.com/catal..._A_250x250.jpg
The starter would only engage via my bypass since the trying to start with the key did nothing, the engine then turn, start running (ignition was on), then just die as if the key was turned off.

My issue differs from that scenario where I get no starter activity, but if it does turn over (usually after moving the shifter as stated before) the engine runs w/o issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
well I'm not getting any codes to match this persons issue so for now, I'll put this possibility on the bottom of the root-cause list.

So... no blinking lights, or prevention of running to indicate the SKIM might the issue, nor am I getting any codes (but i did have the engine light yesterday but I assumed it was related to the gas cap since I also saw the word GASCAP where the milage usually is) I reseated the cap and the word went away, and 20 minutes later, the engine light went away too. I'll have the auto parts store check it out anyway

As the research continues, I found this ptcruiserlinks.com 35869-ignition-switch-malfunction-actuator-pin l

So I'm not yet discounting that possibility either, infact, it got bumped to #2 on the list. actually, it was my first thought now that I think about it.

I'm so lost! and too broke to be throwing parts at it!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2013, 03:05 pm
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 23,868
Default Re: Not cranking but have power

How about something to do with the gearshift interlock system? Won't let you start the car while it's in gear and if something is wrong, when you move the shifter, it lets the interlock work correctly and start the car.
__________________
......
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 118,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01 Aug 2013, 03:13 pm
randyincctx's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Corpus Christi,Tx.
Posts: 3,483
Thumbs up Re: Not cranking but have power

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
How about something to do with the gearshift interlock system? Won't let you start the car while it's in gear and if something is wrong, when you move the shifter, it lets the interlock work correctly and start the car.
I thought about that also,until the mention of it working when holding the key close to the ignition....That's when the SKIM idea came to mind.....But yeah until then I was thinking 'shift interlock cable' and/or ignition switch when it was mentioned about wiggling the gearshifter?....I think we're in the right ballpark,now to figure out which base!lol
__________________
2003 PT Cruiser (Base-N/A) Patriot Blue Pearl Purchased @ Police Impound Auction for $1,000.
Aka:~KILLER~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crank, shift interlock, starter, tipm


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PT Won't Start, No Codes, No Cranking... pink_lemur13 General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 06 Apr 2013 11:39 am
pt tries to start and does after long time cranking woodslip Tech & Performance Forum 8 27 Oct 2012 03:02 am
10 Degrees Out, Cranking but no start stixboy General PT Cruiser Discussions 21 17 Feb 2011 08:36 pm
Cranking but not starting. SiRPt3 Tech & Performance Forum 2 23 Dec 2010 09:00 pm
long cranking 4b316 Tech & Performance Forum 3 05 Aug 2008 07:34 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors