PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing '02 Master power window switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2013, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CRonMorgan
Question Replacing '02 Master power window switch

I've read some discussions here about power window switch problems. Some of them end with the advice to replace the master power window switch. Is it as easy as it sounds... prying the unit out of the dash board (carefully), unplugging the cord, and replace with new unit? I see some switch units on eBay for about $25-40... does this sound about right?

This is regarding a 2002 PT. Both front windows do not operate. The fuse under the hood is good, so I presume the master switch unit needs replacing.

Thanks.

Original owner of '02 PT Cruiser, Limited Edition - plate "PT FLUKE"
Old 15 Jul 2013, 11:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Replacing '02 Master power window switch

Have you checked the motors to see if they are working.......If you replace the switch and the motors are burned out they still won't work.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 12:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing '02 Master power window switch

I have not checked the motors, because both windows went out at the same time. I can't imagine two motors failing at the same time. Thanks.

Old 16 Jul 2013, 01:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Replacing '02 Master power window switch

Probably is the 5-gang switch and normally it is both front windows that stop working IDKY............I also assume you've done your research and read this thread:Front power windows no longer working...?As for the replacement you can try a local salvage yard(U-Pull-It or similar)....or you can get this one on Ebay for $32.49(Buy now)+$6.00s/h(or bid $24.99 & wait):01 05 Chrysler PT Cruiser Master Power Window Switch | eBayOr this one for $25+$15s/h(It has a 'Dream Cruiser Series 1' logo):Chrysler PT Cruiser Power Window Switch 2002 | eBayAnd they're easy as pie to remove & replace.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 02:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I did read that thread, and noticed those switches on eBay. Guess I'll order one and swap it out. Appreciate the support!

Old 16 Jul 2013, 06:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just for my curiosity, which fuse under the hood did you check? I don't see (in my manuals) any fuse related to the windows that are under the hood in the PDC. All diagrams for all model cruisers show only one Circuit Breaker (No#2 20A) in the interior fuse box that controls all power for all 4 windows.

This wouldn't be your problem, as I said it controls all 4 windows but none of the books show anything under the hood or any fuse at all for the windows.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 05:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

CREWZIN, in 2002 (true in 2004) the PDC fuse #3, 40 amp controls the ignition switch circuit that powers the window circuit breaker. The fuse also protects other circuits whose failure might not be noticed; heated seats, rear window defogger, back up light, blower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Just for my curiosity, which fuse under the hood did you check? I don't see (in my manuals) any fuse related to the windows that are under the hood in the PDC. All diagrams for all model cruisers show only one Circuit Breaker (No#2 20A) in the interior fuse box that controls all power for all 4 windows...
Old 16 Jul 2013, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
CREWZIN, in 2002 (true in 2004) the PDC fuse #3, 40 amp controls the ignition switch circuit that powers the window circuit breaker. The fuse also protects other circuits whose failure might not be noticed; heated seats, rear window defogger, back up light, blower.
OK, I gotta remember that after the first run (2001) they seem to have changed a bunch of things. In 2001, PDC #1 goes straight to the ignition switch circuit and PDC #3 is for the Ignition RUN.

The schematic for 2002 and later (with Express Down module) shows the interior #2 Circuit Breaker goes straight to the Front Power Window Switch. Doesn't show the PDC Fuse #3 giving power to that Circuit Breaker.

All according to the Owners Manual and Haynes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 07:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, and the below Mitchell Repair schematic also starts with the circuit breaker receiving power from "hot in run" direct to window switch.
On other pages, I can trace the power back trough the ignition switch (pins #3 & 8) and PDC fuse #3 to the battery.
http://pt-cruiser.pl/Pliki_do_pobran...aggramy_el.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The schematic ...shows the interior #2 Circuit Breaker goes straight to the Front Power Window Switch. Doesn't show the PDC Fuse #3 giving power to that Circuit Breaker.

All according to the Owners Manual and Haynes.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I give up...you win.