Advertisements
A few questions

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2013, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A few questions

Hey everyone,

Just joined the forums and wanted to ask a few questions right off as i'm currently in my garage trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

So i've changed the cars ecu a couple of weeks back(my mechanic did), so after a few hours of driving my cluster starts lighting up all needles violently moving, stopped the car everything turned to normal and check engine light up, checked the error - hr 3308 no idea what it is as if the code does not exist, went back to the mechanic (the guy said that the car is too much hassle and he won't work on it again) he claims that it's some sort of wiring issue, yesterday the engine fan stopped working, and well... the car overheated... checked on the relays they seem to be ok.
Are there any places in the pt cruise that are particularly vulnerable in terms of wiring or any common wiring problems?
thanks a bunch for your replies
Old 16 Jul 2013, 06:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: A few questions

First thing: Welcome to the forum!....That said;you'll need to tell everybody some more info about your PT....Depending on what year,how many miles,what engine,etc....These little bits of info really help in answering random questions.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A few questions

Welcome to the forum.

I think you did the fault code retrieval wrong and what you got was a system code. There is no hr 3308. Try this.....

How to retrieve fault codes.

The radiator fan is a known problem but not usually both speeds. You have two speeds if you have a 2001-2005. Usually the low speed stops working because of burnt out brushes in the fan motor. Can yo tell if any speed is working?

Don't know why all your needles were jumping around but if there was something wrong with the ECU/PCM you wouldn't have been able to start the car.

To rest the computer and get rid of old fault codes, take off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. Step on the brake pedal while the cable is off, put it all back together and the computer will reset to all normal settings.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the warm welcome,

Mine is an 06 non-turbo with 75k miles on it.

The fan is not working at all.

The thing is that i did the fault code check right, the weird part is that the scanner doesn't pick up any codes but the check engine light is still on, I'm still checking on the wiring around engine fuse box, so I guess by the time I'm done everything will reset completely
Old 16 Jul 2013, 07:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The bad part is that 2006 was the big change in electronics in the PT Cruiser. Chrysler changed to a CAN-BUSS system where everything is connected to another in one way or another and there have been problems with the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) which is another name for the fuse box located in the engine compartment which is something I'm completely unfamiliar with...so I'll butt out. Sorry.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was surprised by the fuse box a few hours ago, i've found a few damaged cables that i plan to weld in a moment, see picture attached, though this fan problem is still bothering me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0218.jpg (93.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 16 Jul 2013, 07:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's a PT Cruiser ????

Old 16 Jul 2013, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yup...

No air filter no battery and no fuse box at the moment still working on the messy wires (guess I'm not the first one lol)

damn dirty engine compartment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0220.jpg (88.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by svetlaev; 16 Jul 2013 at 07:54 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 08:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Clean on the outside.

Old 16 Jul 2013, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Clean on the outside.
Im in Canada no point in washing the engine as it'll be dirty in a day