PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can I do a bypass on the Heater Core?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By soyomb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2013, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can I do a bypass on the Heater Core?

Hi guys! New to the forum. Today I picked up a 2002 Pt Cruiser for just $1000. The heater core is out but that is about it. Head gasket is fine and runs great besides.

I have searched and read how bad changing the heater core can be. But I tried to search and see if I can just do a temp bypass with a pipe between the hoses the go into the firewall. I have done this before on other cars without having any issues. Any known issues that would prevent me from doing that with this car?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 11:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Can I do a bypass on the Heater Core?

it's just like any other car as far as that's concerned. just cap off the heater core tubes and connect the hoses together so there is flow. of course eventually you're gonna need heat. probably run around $800 to have the heater core as well as the a/c evap replaced since it's in the same area.
rob342 and Badglas like this.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 01:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Can I do a bypass on the Heater Core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzaius View Post
Hi guys! New to the forum. Today I picked up a 2002 Pt Cruiser for just $1000. The heater core is out but that is about it. Head gasket is fine and runs great besides.

I have searched and read how bad changing the heater core can be. But I tried to search and see if I can just do a temp bypass with a pipe between the hoses the go into the firewall. I have done this before on other cars without having any issues. Any known issues that would prevent me from doing that with this car?

Thank you for your help in advance.
You could use a block seal untill you fix it. There are some that just go in the coolant and stay in. Seen these do some pretty amazing things. Don't do the cheap stuff. Cost is about $32 for the bar leak block and head-gasket repair.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com