PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air conditioning makes a thump when turned on and doesn't work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2013, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air conditioning makes a thump when turned on and doesn't work

Hi,

My air conditioning has never worked and makes a noise like someone tapping the bottom of the car when it is turned on. The engine idle is also very choppy, which seems to be related to when the air con clutch is engaged.

I've read all kinds of things from insufficient refrigerant, to LPS switches to dodgy fans and paper clip tests.

I'm fairly competent with auto repair, but haven't really had much to do with air con systems. Can anyone suggest some diagnostic steps I can take to rule out anything? I don't really want to take it to a garage to be charged $300 for something I can do myself.

Thanks in advance!
Old 16 Jul 2013, 11:28 pm
Banned

Default Re: Air conditioning makes a thump when turned on and doesn't work

Welcome to the forum

Please post some pics of your pt and stay a while
Old 16 Jul 2013, 11:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It sounds like the compressor is already fried? I've never heard of one thumping before but running it with no oil in the system will cook it.

Get it evacuated first and they would be able to tell you if there is a leak in the system which might be the original problem?

At this point if the system is sealed ... I'd just pick up a used compressor and install it myself (good luck with that!) No idea how tough it would be but it doesn't look like fun!

But it has to be checked for leaks and evacuated before you can do anything! That should be your first step because you can't fix anything if the system has a leak and at this point you have no idea if that is the case?

Not an AC pro but that's how I'd go about fixing it,
Old 16 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Oh yeah welcome aboard and is yours Silver? Lot's of Silver ones out here! Carson City NV.
Old 05 Aug 2013, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Air conditioning makes a thump when turned on and doesn't work

I am new to this forum, love it already, a lot of good stuff in it.
BTW, my PT is a 2005 base model (not even ABS), and it is a very light beige color.

I have the exact same problem!

I can start the car without any problems, it runs smooth. I drive to work and the moment I turn on the AC there is a noise, like someone is hitting the bottom of the car (and I also fell it like that) and hot air is coming out of the fan, not cold AC air ...
I life in Florida... I don't have to mention that this is not something I enjoy, do I?

When the AC is turned on (well, let's say when I pressed the button on the console to turn it on) and I have to stop at a red light, the car starts to shake every 20 seconds or so, the RPS go down a little bit and after 3 seconds of shaking the RPS go back to where they were. When I am driving, it drives wonderful, nothing happens.

Sometimes, when I am at the red light and the RPMs go down, I push the trottle a little bit just to bring the RPMs to 2000 or so, and I had it happen that smoke came from underneath the hood. The temperatur of the motor is fine, nothing overheated at all. When I am driving no smoke is coming out anywhere.

So what is it?

- Hot air although AC is turned on
- One hammer sound when I turn on the AC (when I turn it off and turn it on later again, that same sound is not existing..., strange!)
- RPMs fluctuate when in idle in front of a red light

I checked al fluid levels as well, all is fine.

Together with a coworker I tried to refil the freon in the AC system, but the system did not even suck the freon in, the compressor did not come on and there was no cool air inside the car. We also noticed that the motor fan did not come on, but we just run it for a short time, so I do not know whether the fan did not have to come on or whether it is broken or so.

I don't have the money to go to a shop to let them fix it, so I have to do it...

Any suggestions, ideas, please???

THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega4040 View Post
Hi,

My air conditioning has never worked and makes a noise like someone tapping the bottom of the car when it is turned on. The engine idle is also very choppy, which seems to be related to when the air con clutch is engaged.

I've read all kinds of things from insufficient refrigerant, to LPS switches to dodgy fans and paper clip tests.

I'm fairly competent with auto repair, but haven't really had much to do with air con systems. Can anyone suggest some diagnostic steps I can take to rule out anything? I don't really want to take it to a garage to be charged $300 for something I can do myself.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05 Aug 2013, 06:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Air conditioning makes a thump when turned on and doesn't work

If this has been a long standing issue,the a/c compressor clutch may be so bad that when it tries to engage it's actually dragging down the engine because it's been without compressor oil for so long/or miles,if the a/c clutch isn't engaging it won't be able to have R134a added(no suction?).......Have you had it looked at all by an auto a/c tech?(I know where I live there are several places that say: 'Free A/C Check').(It may be too late and the compressor is already shot.)

Last edited by randyincctx; 05 Aug 2013 at 06:24 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2013, 03:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Try this first. Hi. First thing to do is change the two relays on the radiator.
It sounds like your low speed fan relay is out. You can use basic 5 prong bosch relays available on ebay for just a few bucks.
That will solve your violent shaking when the AC is turned on and in most cases, return the AC back to blowing cold air. This is the key to your dilemma.
I hope it helps. Best Regards. Dave
Old 05 Nov 2013, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

First, this thread is several months old and I am sure they have figured out the issue. Second, more then likely the fan has failed. A very, very common issue on PT's. Don't buy a factory fan. Buy a Dorman from Rock Auto and get a lifetime warranty. It will come with new relays.
Old 05 Nov 2013, 03:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Not sure what Baldy's angle is, but he's replied to 3 different threads with the exact same answer. Something's fishy with him.