Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check engine light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2013, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check engine light

I have a 2009 PT Cruiser and the check engine light came on again ( this is the fifth time in approximately 4 years). the Car just went past the 100,000 mile mark and of course the extended warranty has just expired. I tried to retrieve the code and the only thing that came up was 'Done" so no code to work with. Should I just take it to my local guy or should I bring it in to a Chrysler dealer. If I do that I am certain that the cost would be in the 250 to 300 dollar range. Any Suggestions?

Ill say one thing the check engine light on any of my other cars ( not Chrysler of course have not come on like this.) Sorry to say but this is my first and last Chrysler.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 02:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine light

Welcome Justice League member 41862

What did you do the other four times that the MIL (malfunction indicator light) illuminated?
Did anyone read codes then? Any service done?
Don't simply drive off to any-cost service shop for what could be as simple as a gas cap problem.

2006 and newer PT Cruisers are noted for electrical glitches and gremlins.

May you come to know the power of the force of our cruisin' cult.
Apparently you have decided to keep this car for life as your last car.
Luck
Old 17 Jul 2013, 05:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I believe the initial time at about 30 K it was an O2 sensor, the second time it was the cam shaft sensor at 45K. then at about 78 K it was the electronic cooling fan. I am just taking this off of the repair invoices provided by the Chrysler dealer who repaired them. I just removed the gas cap and tried to retrieve the code again and got the same results no code. just " Done " as the response.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 07:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, you do know of the timing belt change that's due about now, right?

Other than that, there are some codes that come up that have to be read with a scanner. It seems this is one of those times.

I would take off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. Step on the brake pedal to get rid of any residual charge. Put it all back together. This procedure will erase any stored codes and reset the computer. That in itself might get rid of the engine light that's popping up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 07:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I will also look into having the timing belt changed as well. I will let you know what happens either way
Old 18 Jul 2013, 05:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to verongome Send a message via Skype™ to verongome

So how did it go with you?
Old 18 Jul 2013, 09:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Followed the steps provided by Crewzin ( sorry if I misspelled) disconnected the negative battery cable stepped on the brake pedal to clear any residual charge and reconnected the battery cable after about 5 to 10 minutes. Check engine light did not come back on afterwards. So it looks like it worked . Thanks a million..... two quick questions though, If the check engine light comes back on do you suggest I take it to a qualified mechanic. Is this a common glitch as in PT Cruiser's. because as I said in an earlier post this is the 5th time I have gotten a check engine light indicator, which seems to be an excessive amount.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully, there will be a fault code when you check it if the engine light comes back. If not, you can clear it again (but the fault will still be there) or you can take it to someone with a scanner and it can dig deeper to see if there's any hidden faults.

If it's the Camshaft sensor code (P0340), check all the connections and the wiring harness for any breaks in the outer covering.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 01:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question #1
No, do not spend money on a mechanic when the MIL (malfunction indicator light) comes on. A code resolution might need no more than a can of fuel system cleaner.
Go to a local auto parts store where you can expect the staff will do a no-charge code reading. They will not erase a code.
Knowing the code and what it means, you can then act appropriately.

I had a frequent P0440-441 code (first read at Auto Zone) indicating some fuel emissions control system glitch.
I bought my own code reader for <$50>. This allowed me to confirm the expected repeating MIL reason, clear the code and, over time, eventually solve the problem for the cost of replacing two parts at bargain prices and my labor.
With the same knowledge, one may otherwise choose a mechanic.

AND, THIS IS IMPORTANT. Having your own code reader may just get you home.

Far from home, highways and towns, my power stumbled and required that I stop. Using my (kept under-seat) code reader, I then read and CLEARED the P0340 camshaft sensor MIL. The car ran fine all of the way home. Eventually I changed the sensor. But, before doing so, I repeated the stumble-read-clear-go phenomena with this code and my code reader.
CAUTION: when I installed a non-mopar sensor and the stumble began only 4 miles later, I repeatedly found that I could not clear the stumble by clearing the code, as I limped home.
I could not operate the car until a Mopar camshaft sensor was installed.

Questions #1 and 3 I leave to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl41862 View Post
...If the check engine light comes back on do you suggest I take it to a qualified mechanic. Is this a common glitch as in PT Cruiser's. because as I said in an earlier post this is the 5th time I have gotten a check engine light indicator, which seems to be an excessive amount.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 18 Jul 2013 at 01:29 pm. Reason: grammer