Advertisements
Flooded Car :(

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2013, 11:28 am
Young Cruiser

Default Flooded Car :(

Dear all,

The PT Cruiser I bougth at the end of April was flooded at the end of June. My room-mate was able to turn it on as soon as waters receded, but after a couple of days he started being unable to switch it on. I had it towed to a Chrisler dealer, according to which the engine is locked up, and would need to be replaced entirely for a cost of 6000$. This, even before checking the electric system.
Does this sound reasonable to you?
I'm flabbergasted by this whole story. I've used this car for 23 days. My room mate car, parked next to mine, didn't report any damage at all.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 12:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Flooded Car :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharta1979 View Post
Dear all,

The PT Cruiser I bougth at the end of April was flooded at the end of June. My room-mate was able to turn it on as soon as waters receded, but after a couple of days he started being unable to switch it on. I had it towed to a Chrisler dealer, according to which the engine is locked up, and would need to be replaced entirely for a cost of 6000$. This, even before checking the electric system.
I'm flabbergasted by this whole story. I've used this car for 23 days. My room mate car, parked next to mine, didn't report any damage at all.
you can take out the sparkplugs and try to turn the crank pulley with a socket. sounds like BS since it was running for days after it was flooded. was there water in the oil?

then again, flooding does horrible things to all cars. mold, mildew, bacteria, rust, electrical problems, the list goes on and on. this is why insurance will total just about any car that has water damage. if you have full coverage, you might call your insurance and say it has not run since the flood and file a claim.

Last edited by rob342; 19 Jul 2013 at 12:36 pm.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 01:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Dear all,

First of all you never turn the key on a car after it is been under water. You check for fluids being over full. Oil floats. Then if no water in the trans or motor you want to pull the seats and carpets and wash them with a water hose and clean as required and let dry same with the rest of the car. then you inspect the connectors and blow them dry if nessary. Of course with the battery disconnected. Also checking for water intrusion in the wheel bearings and other unercarrage components. If you had water in the engine you would drain all oil. Pull spark plugs and blow them out. Fill with oil and refire the engine. Run for a bit drain and change oil and filter again. If you see any sign of water in the oil you removed . You would run again and change again. Same with the trans. All at the same time. Then you can put a dehumidifier in the car with doors And windows closed over night to dry. This is what you do when you have this happen. How high the water before it's gets in the engine is dependent on locations of intakes and dip sticks form manufacturer to another.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 19 Jul 2013 at 03:34 pm.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 02:15 pm
Banned

Legally your roomate committed negligence, he needs to pay or sue him.

If you had full coverage, roomate needs to pay the deductible, and just take the check and buy another one

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 19 Jul 2013 at 02:32 pm.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 02:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
First of all you never turn the key on a car after it is been under water. You check for fluids being over full. Oil floats. Then if no water in the trans or motor you want to pull the seats and carpets and wash them with a water hose and clean as required and let dry same with the rest of the car. then you inspect the connectors and blow them dry if nessary. Of course with the battery disconnected. Also checking for water intrusion in the wheel bearings and other unercarrage components. If you had water in the engine you would drain all oil. Pull spark plugs and blow them out. Fill with oil and refire the engine. Run for a bit drain and change oil and filter again. If you see any sign of water in the oil you removed . You would run again and change again. Same with the trans. All at the same time. Then you can put a dehumidifier in the car with food And windows closed over night to dry. This is what you do when you have this happen. How high the water before it's gets in the engine is dependent on locations of intakes and dip sticks form manufacturer to another.
what's the food for?
Old 19 Jul 2013, 02:55 pm
Banned

I would put fried chicken in mine.....mmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
what's the food for?
rob342 likes this.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
what's the food for?
That's a fat finger with a little to much help from a to small cell phone. How's that for a recipe? The little guy was for you Busa.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jul 2013, 06:16 pm
Young Cruiser

I was not in the country when this happened, neither am I now. At the moment the car is at the dealer, there's not much I can do, besides asking for a second opinion.
After the flood the car switched on, but was not driven, just switched on. Two days after, it would not switch on anymore. The flood happened on June 30.
What would you do at this point?
I have not total damage policy, so insurance won't pay a dime. I was talked out of it by the insurance because this is an old car.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 08:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Flooded Car :(

How high did the flood waters get?......High enough to permeate the PCM/ECU?

Last edited by randyincctx; 19 Jul 2013 at 08:04 pm. Reason: Spelling....I'm forgetful.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 08:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I was not in the country when this happened, neither am I now. At the moment the car is at the dealer, there's not much I can do, besides asking for a second opinion.
After the flood the car switched on, but was not driven, just switched on. Two days after, it would not switch on anymore. The flood happened on June 30.
What would you do at this point?
I have not total damage policy, so insurance won't pay a dime. I was talked out of it by the insurance because this is an old car.
That sounds like the dealer is assuming a lot of stuff. Bottom line these guys don't want to get into this and just priced you out. I( would disregard the locked up thing till proven otherwise. If the starter makes no noise then it's not trying to start it. That's not locked up. I f the starter engages but it wont turn that's another mater. Start over and see what you have.
Badglas likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 20 Jul 2013 at 07:03 am.