Advertisements
Blowing high-beam fuses

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By otfiddler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2013, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Blowing high-beam fuses

I've been driving without fuse #8 and fog lamps for a couple of years now, and I've just noticed that when I attempt to switch on high beams I blow fuse #16 --- might that be related to the suspect Multi-Function Switch?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 07:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Blowing high-beam fuses

OK, I've answered my own question --- I replaced the Multi-Function Switch, and I still blow fuse #16 ( but at least I have fog lights again).
My next question is, can high-beam bulbs cause fuse #16 to blow when a bulb dies?
I hate to buy new bulbs if it won't fix my problem, because I suspect I won't be able to return them.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 07:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by otfiddler View Post
OK, I've answered my own question --- I replaced the Multi-Function Switch, and I still blow fuse #16 ( but at least I have fog lights again).
My next question is, can high-beam bulbs cause fuse #16 to blow when a bulb dies?
I hate to buy new bulbs if it won't fix my problem, because I suspect I won't be able to return them.
Just look at the bulbs and see if they are blown. If Filament is not broken, get to work finding the short. check the wiring behind the fuse block for charring. If no luck there start following the wires from the head lights back, looking for damage or rubbing on metal edges.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Sep 2013, 12:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Closure:
After shedding some skin and blood working through the tiny opening in the wheel well to determine the condition of my high-beam bulb filaments, I noticed that the wire to my right-side lamp had in fact been pinched --- at some time in the past someone had apparently removed the front fascia, and during re-assembly, had trapped the wire between the car frame and the fascia.
I loosened two nuts enough to release the wire (fascia removal was not required), wrapped the mashed area with electrical tape and re-assembled everything.
I now once again have low beams, high beams AND fog lamps; life is good!
Old 13 Sep 2013, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Blowing high-beam fuses

It is truly amazing the amount of money that can be saved on repair and maintenance of our vehicles just by logging on here and grazing every few days.

That witch hunt looking for a pinched or shorted wire would have cost at least a half hour dealer diagnostic time. Close to $40 at my local dealer.
Old 29 Apr 2014, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just discovered that I am having the same problem. I just had my rides pt convertible repainted and some body work done, and found that it is the fuse just a few minutes ago. When you say it was pinched by the front fascia, do you mean the front bumper? I looked some, but didn't really have the daylight left to do much. Any help would be appreciated.