PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got into Accident because PT brakes failed...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2013, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Got into Accident because PT brakes failed...

I dont know what todo honestly, or if it was the brakes at all.

Its raining really bad right now where I live & was headed home... cars braking perfectly fine, then this car ahead of me (we are going 40) hits their brakes and the distance was fine...except my brakes were working fine then suddenly I had no pressure on the brakes and it went to floor & lifting foot off and pumping it didn't get me to brake in time, it barely helped. So I ended up rear-ending the person infront of me!

Their car had a tiny tiny mark so we didnt call cops or fiLe anything w/ insurance.... my car however has this black scuff on the bumper, and the grille is slightly bending outwards....its not really bad at all just noticeable.

Im really scared to how much this repair could run me considering I owe my bf about 1k and thats due aug 9 with my measly 500 bi-weekly paycheck (Which I just got 448 of)

That means if this repair runs over 400...I am done for.

p.s brakes worked fine right after this, I dont get it at ALL! I do not remember driving through any puddles or anything.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 09:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Got into Accident because PT brakes failed...

Fist off;Sorry this happened to you,and glad your OK!.........When you get a chance;Can you see if the 'brake booster hose' came off of the air box,or maybe cracked?.....Although,that would make the brake pedal harder,not go to the floor?

Last edited by randyincctx; 19 Jul 2013 at 09:08 pm.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 01:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Got into Accident because PT brakes failed...

Princess ; If you had peddle than it went down going through a puddle won't make it go to the floor. Your reservoir could be low on fluid ,the vacuum line may have a pin hole in it and with extreme pressure something made it release. Get it checked Before something Bad happens . Glad you ae OK .
Old 20 Jul 2013, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Got into Accident because PT brakes failed...

Cars are like house cleaning, or lawns.
They need regular attention and maintenance.
Like changing the oil regularly, any smart driver needs be sure that even though things like the brakes are working fine.....that all hoses, brake pads, rotors are inspected regularly. The normal multi-point inspection at oil changes is not enough! Flushing the coolant and transmission at regular intervals.
I cannot tell you how many accidents that I may have avoided with regular maintenance.
There is no way to tell.
But, I know that I have been in less accidents and breakdowns.
Only surprised by dead batteries!
Traet you car like a good friend.
Just sayin'.....

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 20 Jul 2013, 02:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your description indicates hydraulic failure. This mean either you have a leak in both the front and rear brake systems or the master cylinder failed. Because you say pumping gave no help I am leaning toward a master cylinder that needs replacing.

You have NO information about your PT so it makes it challenging for anyone to help you more then this?

Most master cylinders for PT Cruisers you can find on the internet for around 60-150.00. Qualified replacement labor to install one which should include a system flushing and refill is about 150-200.

A failed of leaking brake booster will only make braking more difficult. It will not prevent braking and will not allow the peddle to go to the floor. Pumping action would bring the brake system to full manual (leg power) operation. Remember you pre 50's vehicles.
Badglas and randyincctx like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Jul 2013 at 02:41 pm.
Old 20 Jul 2013, 09:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Got into Accident because PT brakes failed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Most master cylinders for PT Cruisers you can find on the internet for around 60-150.00. Qualified replacement labor to install one which should include a system flushing and refill is about 150-200.
I've always been able rebuild my Brake Master,Clutch Master,and Clutch Slave Cylinders as long as the core of the cylinder isn't pitted or scored.......Normally they were full of 'black goo'(old seals) though!...But,kits were always cheaper & easy to find;Now depending on the make and model,some cars it's not that much more to get a factory rebuilt and turn in the core!(rebuilding may be becoming a lost art?)
Quote:
A failed of leaking brake booster will only make braking more difficult. It will not prevent braking and will not allow the peddle to go to the floor. Pumping action would bring the brake system to full manual (leg power) operation. Remember you pre 50's vehicles.
That's why I caught & corrected myself real quick......
Old 20 Jul 2013, 11:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
I dont know what todo honestly, or if it was the brakes at all.

Its raining really bad right now where I live & was headed home...

p.s brakes worked fine right after this, I dont get it at ALL! I do not remember driving through any puddles or anything.
Brakes were just wet. You need to hold your foot on them slightly to clear them, then they function fine.

Get someone you trust to look at them, if you don't know anyone some places do free inspections.

Have them give you exact problem and why so you can post it up here, use your cell to shoot pics of alleged problems.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 12:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ted read the part about the peddle going to the floor!
Wet brakes do not displace hydraulic fluid.

Good recommendation to have a qualified brake show evaluate the brake problem!
rob342 likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jul 2013, 08:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

One of either two things:

a. brake pedal going all the way to the floor indicates hydraulic leak and MUST be repaired before the car is driven again

b. pilot error
Old 21 Jul 2013, 09:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Your description indicates hydraulic failure. This mean either you have a leak in both the front and rear brake systems or the master cylinder
When my rear wheel cylinders went bad, my pedal hit the floor. The fronts were still fine. This car has some weird X line configuration that allows this to happen, doesn't it? Keep In mind I also have no abs crap on mine.

a little more info when it happened to me.. sometimes the pedal would feel like it was sinking a little bit while sitting at redlights, then one day i stepped on it and it hit the floor. it would come back up but applying decent pressure would make it hit the floor again.

i'm not in any way giving ideas to this lady about what happened to her, just sharing my bad experience.

Last edited by rob342; 21 Jul 2013 at 09:21 am.