PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
All 3 engine mounts failed on 2001 PT Cruiser. The broken bolt is where I need help.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2013, 12:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default All 3 engine mounts failed on 2001 PT Cruiser. The broken bolt is where I need help.

Hey everyone, thank you for taking your time to read my question.

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser and the oddest thing happened ... the top engine mount failed, the mid mount is fine but the bolt sheered off, and the lower is on its way out though its holding the engine up enough to drive ... I don't drive it, but I could. Halfshafts are expensive.

Okay, so the car's AC was ripped out before I bought it so the top mount looks like a cake job.

Have you ever heard of the bolt (Chrysler refers to it as a "screw") breaking off form the middle of the mid mount? Literally, the head of the bolt is gone and the bolt is almost flush with the block. The question is, how to get that bugger out. Considering I was only able to see it through a small hole in the passenger wheel well, I would hope that somebody here has seen this before and there is a way to work with the bolt. I am assuming since the mid mount looks kinda new that this bolt hasn't been in the block for more than a few years. Maybe they even used anti-seize, but considering they ripped out the AC to replace the timing belt my guess is that the mechanic was ... well, he probably didnt care about this car.

Anyways, any suggestions? I have a torch and I will get an easy out, but the space is so tight ...

Pulling the engine is not an option and the local shop wants $250 to do the work. I want to attempt this myself. If I replace the upper and lower mounts, maybe that should be enough to drive the car 120 miles where the family can do their magic?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolt.jpg (95.3 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Chrismindless; 23 Jul 2013 at 12:14 pm.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: All 3 engine mounts failed on 2001 PT Cruiser. The broken bolt is where I need h

The photo attached illustrates where the bolt is that snapped off. Thank you again.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: All 3 engine mounts failed on 2001 PT Cruiser. The broken bolt is where I need h

That's a tough spot to work on a headless bolt.

My initial thought would be to weld an extra piece of metal to the bolt, then heat it up and remove the bolt using the new attachment.

But the more I think about it, depending on the space, it would probably be best to drill it out and re-tap the hole for a different bolt.

Both of these methods sound hard to do due to the location.

I'm not sure what resources your family has to help, but I wouldn't be afraid to drive a short distance, if the other two mounts were in great shape.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 01:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

the last person on here with a broken bolt there kept snapping axles, so i would NOT drive like that.

that bolt goes into this bracket(1). it is only held on by three bolts(2). you may need to remove the belts, power steering pump, upper AC lines, crank pulley, and 2 torque struts to get enough room to remove it. once that crap is all out of the way you can jack the passenger side of the engine waaaaaaaayyyyy up, and the bracket with the broken bolt will come out. when you jack it up, be sure not to break the sensors on the back of the intake.

with it out of the car you will be able to drill a hole in the center of the bolt and use an easy-out to remove it.

usually the reason that bolt breaks is because someone either cross threads it installing it, or tightens it like a gorilla. i'd guess they did this during the timing belt replacement, since they had the bolt out and the bracket off at that time.

in my opinion, $250 actually sounds reasonable, considering the amount of work involved.

zamfir2 likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 23 Jul 2013 at 03:12 pm.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 05:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
you may need to remove the belts, power steering pump, upper AC lines, crank pulley, and 2 torque struts to get enough room to remove it. once that crap is all out of the way you can jack the passenger side of the engine waaaaaaaayyyyy up, and the bracket with the broken bolt will come out. when you jack it up, be sure not to break the sensors on the back of the intake.

with it out of the car you will be able to drill a hole in the center of the bolt and use an easy-out to remove it.

in my opinion, $250 actually sounds reasonable, considering the amount of work involved.

I agree - take the bracket off, and it will be semi-easy-ish to remove the broken bolt. At least you'll have room to work.
You will have to remove the serpentine belt, alternator belt, and upper and lower torque struts to remove the bracket. You will have to take out the 3 bolts that hold the power steering pump to the bracket, but the pump itself can stay where it is. Since the a/c has already been ripped out, the lines will not be a factor. I think you can leave the crank pulley on, but I'm not sure.
Good luck!
Old 23 Jul 2013, 05:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamfir2 View Post
I think you can leave the crank pulley on, but I'm not sure.
i looked at my car before i wrote that. i'm 98% sure it will hit the frame when you jack it up
Old 23 Jul 2013, 06:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i looked at my car before i wrote that. i'm 98% sure it will hit the frame when you jack it up

I looked at my car too, and that's what I was concerned about. Still, I think I'd try to jack it up with the pulley on.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for your replies! Here's what I came up in consideration of your suggestions.

Since I am replacing the upper mount and the AC lines are not in the car, there is some room to access the area. I did not consider taking that bracket off, that's a great idea! It is possible that the bolt might big sticking out of the block as it sheered off flush with the bracket and not the block.

There is a chance the lower and upper mounts will be enough but work like that often bites you later. Other than pulling the engine, there is enough room to drill a hole in the bolt that's stuck and use an easy out. I would like to use the plyer method first.

It's so weird the bolt broke off like that. The part listed by chrysler reads "Screw M12 x 1.75 x 85" 06506379AA

We plan on tackling the problem in about 18 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt cruiser hole.jpg (18.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Chrismindless; 23 Jul 2013 at 11:17 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 07:59 am
Cool Cruiser

In case you do have to take the bracket off the block.....
In order to get mine out, I did have to remove my pulley, I tired to remove the bracket without removing the pulley and it would not work. I had to rent the pulley remover from the auto store, my three arm puller was not up to the task. Good luck.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 08:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismindless View Post
there is enough room to drill a hole in the bolt that's stuck and use an easy out.
i was about to tell you that an easy out is too short and wont reach the bolt, but then i stumbled upon this thread, which also has a link to pictures of what he used to remove it.

Removal of Snapped off Main Motor Mount Bolt - SUCCESSFUL!