PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil coming out of spark plug hole

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2013, 07:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Now Overheating....Oil coming out of spark plug hole

I just got done with a head gasket replacement, new timing belt, water pump, idler and tensioner pulley. I finally got it back together last night, she started right up and was running smooth. I was trying to flush the radiator in the dark last night and did not even notice the river of oil forming under the car. I took a better look today and oil seems to have filled up the spark plug boot on #1 and and the center cam cover bolt hole on that side.
What in the world is going on? Is there a seal somewhere that is missing?

I think I have over 20 hours into this repair and now this... I am ready to shoot this thing.

Last edited by 32seventeen; 26 Jul 2013 at 08:21 am. Reason: Change the title
Old 23 Jul 2013, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil coming out of spark plug hole

When putting the valve cover back on, you could have knocked loose one or more of the seals at the spark plug holes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
When putting the valve cover back on, you could have knocked loose one or more of the seals at the spark plug holes.

^^^^^^^^ What he said.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

what THEY said it happens
Old 24 Jul 2013, 07:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys, I did not even look to see if they where in place. I did install a new gasket on the outside perimeter of the cover. I think I was so exhausted by the time I put the cover on, I was not even thinking anymore.

I'm sure I have those new seals sitting in my gasket set. so I will replace all of them.

I'll check it tonight, lets hope that is all that it is?
Old 25 Jul 2013, 07:41 am
Cool Cruiser

I took the valve cover off last night and the spark plug well seals were smashed flat with age. I found oil in plug well 1 and 4. I did have the seals in my seal kit. I also found that I had new seals for the valve cover bolts.

I replaced them all and got it back together, but by then it was dark. So, I did not start it up. I want good light to watch for leaks. I hope to start it up this evening.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 10:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Okay, the oil leak seems fine now. Thanks guys.
However, now I have a new problem....

I let it idle in the driveway for about 20 minutes while I watch for leaks, and as it got up to temp I started to hear gurgling from the overflow bottle.
It kept a constant temp just below halfway up the gauge. I guess that is normal, I never drive this car.....

Anyway, my daughter took it for a drive and it ran fine for a while, then the temp started climbing. The temp warning light came on and she shut it down. I picked her up and we let it cool for about an hour.
I just drove it home (the last three miles of her original trip) and it ran fine with the gauge at the halfway point.

What the heck is going on with this thing, bad rad cap, air in the system, what? Help.

Last edited by 32seventeen; 25 Jul 2013 at 10:10 pm.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 06:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You just did the timing belt and water pump when you found the leak but did you get all the air out of the system? There's quite a few things that cause the coolant system to start overheating. Trapped air, fan not working on both speeds, thermostat, cracked head gasket or a partially blocked radiator.

Start with the easiest, and burp the coolant system.

Old 26 Jul 2013, 08:16 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Now Overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You just did the timing belt and water pump when you found the leak but did you get all the air out of the system? There's quite a few things that cause the coolant system to start overheating. Trapped air, fan not working on both speeds, thermostat, cracked head gasket or a partially blocked radiator.

Start with the easiest, and burp the coolant system.
Just to be clear, the leak, was an oil leak, not a coolant leak.

It has a new water pump, new hoses, newer rad fan (both speeds work correctly), new thermostat, new head gasket. The only parts in the cooling system that have not been replaced (either now or recently) are the radiator and that rad cap.

What's with the gurgling in the overflow bottle, I have never had a car do that before.

It there a trick to burping a PT, other than opening the bleeder on the thermostat housing?