PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Extra weight

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2013, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Extra weight

So thought I'd take the back seats out!!!!! WOW how much extra weight do these add, what a quality product. I hear that the car is a little heavy in it's construction can't imagine what a FULLY laden vehicle would weigh. As I only ship my young daughter around I think I'll leave them out for a bit, may get an extra mile or two out of it.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 04:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Extra weight

I don't see how it could hurt taking them out....I haven't weighed them,but when I took mine out....They're NOT really light(especially the 60% side!)......I've also heard that having a good wax job can increase milage by 2-3mpg.(never tested that though!)
Old 27 Jul 2013, 09:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Extra weight

Both back seats weigh somewhere around 100 lbs but really the only ones that care are in it for the 1/4 mile times. You probably won't notice a difference in everyday driving unless you can calculate down to the 1/10th or 1/100th of a mile like in a drag race.

You'd get better mileage just by pumping up your tires by 5 lbs for less rolling resistance. But then again, you'll wear out the center of the tire faster than normal.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Jul 2013 at 09:29 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 07:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UITA View Post
So thought I'd take the back seats out!!!!! WOW how much extra weight do these add, what a quality product. I hear that the car is a little heavy in it's construction can't imagine what a FULLY laden vehicle would weigh. As I only ship my young daughter around I think I'll leave them out for a bit, may get an extra mile or two out of it.
a couple weeks ago i bought 15 bags of mulch and 40 bricks, about 575lbs. i had the rear seats in, and my little 110lb girlfriend. the car was just slightly slower acceleration wise. the big unexpected difference i felt was in the braking. it feels weird when you push the pedal like normal with all that weight. you feel the momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You'd get better mileage just by pumping up your tires by 5 lbs for less rolling resistance. But then again, you'll wear out the center of the tire faster than normal.
i keep my tires at least 5psi over and i'm still wearing them evenly. i'm starting to think that this "wearing the center of the tire faster" is something that only applies to mopes. when i inflated them to the recommended pressure, i make the edges wear quicker than the centers. how about you?
Old 28 Jul 2013, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, maybe you have to go 10lbs over sticker to get the center to wear out faster. I just picked a number to show that less rolling resistance would be better than taking the seats out.

I keep all my cars at about 2-3lbs over sticker with no odd wear of the tires.
harrym and rob342 like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 09:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

once a week I pick up feed with my PT I get 600 pounds of Horse feed and 100 pounds of pig feed so 700# of feed and what ever else I get and on the highway I really don't get much if any mpg difference like said stopping fast is not a really good plan but if you stand on them she will stop
harrym and rob342 like this.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 10:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

I think weight makes more diff in city- Where you use lots of fuel to get weight moving-

On highway, you primarily have the chassis to push thru wind as problem #1- Rolling resistance is only a fraction- So weight, on freeway, doesn't make as big a difference.
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 03 Mar 2015, 01:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
once a week I pick up feed with my PT I get 600 pounds of Horse feed and 100 pounds of pig feed so 700# of feed and what ever else I get and on the highway I really don't get much if any mpg difference like said stopping fast is not a really good plan but if you stand on them she will stop
does the suspension bottom out over bumps with 700lbs?

just curious.

yesterday in the mustang i had:
(14) boxes of tile @ 48 lbs each
(3) 50lb bags of mortar
(2) 25lb bags of grout

didn't do the math until i got home, but that's 872lbs in the hatch. the suspension would bottom out over bumps and it didn't feel good going over 40. i finally had traction in first gear though!:
Old 03 Mar 2015, 01:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

just wondering if the PT would have felt better, as the weight wouldn't have been right over and behind the axle
Old 03 Mar 2015, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
......the suspension would bottom out over bumps and it didn't feel good going over 40. i finally had traction in first gear though!
FINALLY! A real solution to torque steer!

I gott'a get me some mulch for the back.
harrym, rob342 and boonie2 like this.