Advertisements
Transmission Filter replacement

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shortattentionspan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2013, 06:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Filter replacement

My wife drives an 08 convertible PT with 112K miles. We bought it at 60k miles and the transmission had not been serviced. The local mechanics wanted $160 to change out the transmission filter and since I'm a cheapskate, i decided to do it myself. I bought a filter from Advanced Auto and 6 quarts of ATF-4 from Walmart. I was expecting a 2 hour experience. The pan was held by 14 bolts and RTV. The bolts were easy enough but the RTV presented a problem. I tried prying the pan off, beating it with a rubber mallet but I ended up spraying WD40 on the RTV and using a putty knife to pry the pan loose. I cracked the trailing edge and let the fluid drain out gradually before I pulled it completely off. I cleaned the pan thoroughly. BTW the fluid never stops dripping. The filter pulls off and is full of fluid. A really big drain pan is helpful. I noticed that the new filter needed a gentle nudge from a rubber mallet to seat properly. I used the gasket that came with the filter but I made sure that all of the RTV was off both the pan and the transmission surface. I torqued the bolts back on at 12 foot/pounds. I put all 6 quarts of ATF-4 in and 5 HOURS later, I was done. The PT shifts better now and I don't have to worry about it breaking.
Busted_PT and NitroPT like this.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 07:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Filter replacement

More PT owners with automatic's should follow you example. I can't stress enough how IMPORTANT frequent filter/ oil changes are on these automatic transmission.

Great job and nice write up!!

Welcome to the forum!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN