PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Idle problem driving me nuts ..

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2013, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Idle problem driving me nuts ..

I am new to the forum but have had this PT Touring since 2003. 96k miles now. Problem : Sometimes at idle the engine surges a bit then runs very rough to the point of stalling out but only at idle. It appears to happen once the car is driven..then off for a bit and started again... and on hot days. I have checked fuel pressure ( 57-58 psi) cleaned out the IAC .. new plugs and wires and coil ( installed by local garage before this problem) . Driving above idle is fine .. no jerks or stumbles. There are no Chrysler Dealers nearby anymore and I am not thrilled with my local garage ( 1k dollars for a "tune-up" .. new thermostat and fuel system flush.) As for codes .. I only get "knock sensor" after the stumbling and stall.
I am thinking perhaps the timing belt .. probably time anyway .. but don't want to do that if there is a cheaper fix for now.I want to check the voltage on the TPS but I do not know the base voltage setting I am a retired old dude and money can be tight ! : ) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 30 Jul 2013, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Idle problem driving me nuts ..

Welcome to the forum.
You didn't say if you have the A/C ON when your idling and it's rough and if you tried it without the A/C (if it is ON) to see if the problem goes away. Has the radiator fan ever been replaced? You have a two speed fan and one speed could have burned out, very common problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply ! The AC died a few years ago ..so, no, the AC is off. ( I was getting high pressure on the low pressure side..not good ! ) The fan comes on but, according to my code reader, the water temp is about 220 degrees. When the fan activates, the temp drops some, but not much. The dash temp gauge reads right in the middle. Does the high speed activate because of AC or outside or intake air or H2O temp? Not that I don't trust the folks at my local garage ( lol ) but I may double check the new wires and plugs they put on because I do get a " #1 misfire code once in a while when it stumbles.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

By the way Crewzin, Your engine bay is spectacular !
Old 30 Jul 2013, 11:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Air traped in the coolant? Mine has had stalling when there is air trapped in the coolant. I don't know why that occurs, but it did not mine....
After it was bleed out, it went away? I have heard about this with Hondas too, so I don't think I am imagining it?
Old 30 Jul 2013, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the compliment peterk. As 32 said, trapped air causes many problems like overheating and rough idle. The fan comes on automatically with the A/C but you don't have it. The coolant temperature sensor is the next thing, it sends a signal to the PCM which activates the appropriate relay and runs the fan on low or high depending on the coolant temperature.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Trapped air crossed my mind because they changed out the T-Stat .. since then, I paid to have the coolant flushed and replaced ( they didn't change the coolant when they changed the T stat ( kinda pissed me off) . How do I purge the air out of the system.. I can see the bleeder valve on the housing..I just don't know the procedure. Thanks ..
Old 30 Jul 2013, 12:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here ya go....

Coolant Drain & Fill Help

Old 31 Jul 2013, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll get a new coolant temp sensor and try a bleed after ..
Thanks ..
Old 01 Aug 2013, 05:48 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Garya1682

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk View Post
By the way Crewzin, Your engine bay is spectacular !
it really is im a little jealous to be fair

2002 cruiser
2.0L PETROL AUTO
80k miles