PT Cruiser Forum

Silent tires?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2013, 02:58 am
Young Cruiser

Default Silent tires?

looking for new tires and my main requirement for now is silence

that car is damn noisy, and i drive it in all-year summer conditions with low speeds, so i guess i should focus on noise alone. and thread life secondarily because money does not grow on trees.

for now i have my eyes on a discontinued yokohama "dB Super E-Spec" (195/65 R15). I can still get them for the same price as any medium model from the know brands... but anyone ever had first hand experience with it?

Or any other so called "summer touring tires"? they all claim to reduce noise and have long life.... but as with any new meaningless marketing term comes lots of copy cats. so i'm probing here for first hand experiences on noise reduction.

appreciate any input. thanks!
rob342 likes this.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Silent tires?

I did the same thing - have a convertible and wanted good, quiet tires. I've got the Pirelli P6's on mine and boy are they nice. They are considered 'all road/all weather performance tires'. Add to it, they are lasting longer than any other tires I've had on my PT. I fully expected them to be gone around 24k miles, but nope, they are still wonderful 36k miles later!

Now two weekends ago, while at home, I stopped in at Discount Tire as I had a wood screw in my right front tire. They have Yokohama YK580's that are supposedly the quietest tires. They have excellent review ratings and the mileage ratings are even better!

I'm actually considering those for next year when I replace my Pirelli's.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!

Last edited by Chromenut; 31 Jul 2013 at 11:16 am.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Had these a week, they're so far the best in all categories I've owned in 30years driving, especially peaceful in the noise dept.

Hankook Ventus V2 H437 Tire Reviews (18 Reviews)
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

IMO and they vary from person to person the tire that is the smoothest and quietest currently in the size you have is a Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I have sold these to 2 customers last year that had the same request. They reported loving them!!

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other; the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I'm not a fan of Conti's and here's why:

LAUS DEO SEMPER

Old 31 Jul 2013, 11:28 am
Cool Cruiser

I have had great luck with Kumho Ecsta LX platniums. Super quiet and long lasting. I have purchased two sets over the last few years. Neither for the PT, but that doesn't matter. Check them out....
Old 31 Jul 2013, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Well, I'm not a fan of Conti's and here's why:
Many of us over years and miles of driving all have had experenced a flat,blow out tread separation, leaking valve stems, cracking sidewalls, etc. etc etc... but we also know how you drive Robin!!

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Remember this: All modifications build on each other; the better you configure your mods to work with each other, the more powerful your car will be.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Many of us over years and miles of driving all have had experenced a flat,blow out tread separation, leaking valve stems, cracking sidewalls, etc. etc etc... but we also know how you drive Robin!!
L::M::B::O !!

LAUS DEO SEMPER

Old 31 Jul 2013, 08:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Now two weekends ago, while at home, I stopped in at Discount Tire as I had a wood screw in my right front tire. They have Yokohama YK580's that are supposedly the quietest tires. They have excellent review ratings and the mileage ratings are even better!
I'm actually considering those for next year when I replace my Pirelli's.[/QUOTE]

These are what I had put on in the spring, and I am liking them a lot.
Very quiet, and handle quite well.

Being they are somewhat the "house model" Yokohama, the price is very good too.

I went with a wider profile (which are the max on a stock rim) to give the PT a more aggressive look. I have not notices any odd or early wear at all.

This may sound a little trivial, they also have a nice sidewall look.

Oh yeah one more deciding factor............................................ .................................................. .........

Made in the U. S. A
Old 31 Jul 2013, 10:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
I'm actually considering those for next year when I replace my Pirelli's.

These are what I had put on in the spring, and I am liking them a lot.
Very quiet, and handle quite well.

Being they are somewhat the "house model" Yokohama, the price is very good too.

I went with a wider profile (which are the max on a stock rim) to give the PT a more aggressive look. I have not notices any odd or early wear at all.

This may sound a little trivial, they also have a nice sidewall look.

Oh yeah one more deciding factor............................................ .................................................. .........

Made in the U. S. A [/QUOTE]

What width ? oh and good stuff.... I had Yokohamas ( avid ) on my Mazda3 and they wore out inside a couple years ! WTF
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.

Tags
tire rubber comfort noise