PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear-ended in my 01 want a smooth bumper

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2013, 09:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Rear-ended in my 01 want a smooth bumper

Just got hit and the rear bumper has to be replaced. I am looking to replace it with a smooth bumper and have the entire thing painted.

What is the part number I should be looking for 5093642AA?

Also getting run around with body shops who say the only want to put a 01 bumper back on it.
Anyone who has been in this boat please give me some advice.

And I am not interested in the 06 pumpers.
Old 06 Aug 2013, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear-ended in my 01 want a smooth bumper

That's between you and the body shop. The roll pan bumper will cost more than what they can buy the replacement 01 bumper for. Tell them you will pay the extra for the roll pan and fitment but to take off that price whatever they were going to pay for an original bumper.

I just had an episode with my Corvette and the front bumper has to be replaced. I looked all over and they run about $700-900. They got a replacement from LKQ which is a large, nationwide salvage yard at $200. They painted and fitted it on and I can't tell the difference.

So, you might have to put out quite a bit for the roll pan, plus delivery to the shop plus fitment but if your willing to pay, tell them.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Aug 2013, 11:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had Hail danamage on my 2004 Silverado and the hood was just beat to death a after market hood was like $775 a OEM hood was over a grand so the insurance said aftermarket or I could pay the diffrence for a OEM I had the guy at the body shop find me a 3 inch Cowl Induction Steel hood they were $900 I paid the $125 they ordered it painted it and put it on it looks sweet and they didnt care in fact the guy told me if I wanted he could cut a few things out that he didnt think really needed replaced and i could have got the hood free so what i did was have him do a spray in bed liner andbuff out the bed sides it looks nice and worked out great for me Guess it really depends on the body shop
Old 06 Aug 2013, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think what your talking about is the stock pt bumper with out texture. All one color like the 04 and 05. Now that said you can put any pt bumper of any year on the back as long as you have the backups that go with that. 01 to 05 and 06 to 10. On the 01 to 05 there are the smooth and the textured. To go smooth on the textured you need to use a adhesion promoter and primer to smooth the texture. Of course you don't have this on the smooth. The shape and fit is the same on either one. So I'm not sure why the problem on the smooth. Unless they got a great deal on the textured. Hope this clears this up.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Aug 2013, 02:23 pm
Banned

You know that the rear roll pan has less rear end protection than the stock bumper, even with the bar
Old 06 Aug 2013, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
You know that the rear roll pan has less rear end protection than the stock bumper, even with the bar
You are correct on that. You just can't compensate for the crush zone that is lost. But he has not said witch of the two smooth bumpers he is seeking.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Aug 2013, 08:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Rear-ended in my 01 want a smooth bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmax View Post
Just got hit and the rear bumper has to be replaced.
How are you doing this whole thing?......Insurance?...Private Party??...Paying Yourself???;Because in just about every state in America has the 'rule of road',where 99.9999% of the time the driver who hits you from behind is considered to be 'Following Too Close/Following @ Unsafe Distance';If your going through insurance,you can get the claim check and go 'anywhere you choose';If your having to pay,or settle with O/D out of pocket/under table,your still the customer,and you know what they say: "The customer is always right!"....Any body shop that won't fix your car the way you want,I would say RUN (don't walk!) to the next body shop,and even use your story of how the other shop treated you,to get a leg up with the next shop.JMHO
cruserdad1976 likes this.
Old 08 Aug 2013, 12:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Found a shop that is putting on the smooth bumper and painting the entire thing. I just told him what I wanted and showed him a estimate from another shot (with OE 01 bumper) and he beat the price by $1. I then took the estimate to the person who hit me and they paid the shop with a visa. I'll drop it off on Monday to have the work done.
Old 08 Aug 2013, 01:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

Photo of hit bumper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130805_132022.jpg (94.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 08 Aug 2013, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Found a shop that is putting on the smooth bumper and painting the entire thing. I just told him what I wanted and showed him a estimate from another shot (with OE 01 bumper) and he beat the price by $1. I then took the estimate to the person who hit me and they paid the shop with a visa. I'll drop it off on Monday to have the work done.
Quote:
Photo of hit bumper
Well it didn't do a lot of damage. Glad you getting what you wanted. What will you do the the front?

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com