Advertisements
Car show and PT Cruiser

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2013, 04:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Car show and PT Cruiser

Ok time to vent!

Attended a open car show today with my Cruiser for the first time and was surprised at the receiption of the PT Cruiser compared to the older restorations,hot rods and muscle cars. There was probably 125-150 cars showing and one PT "me". With the exception of a few PT current or previous owners the car was hardly noticed. That was a real bomber for me

This is really my first car that I have tried to show and was feeling pretty good after winning trophies at the last three PT shows I entered. Recieved one of three Best of Class at RTTB 13 at Myrtle Beach last year, a People Choice Award at R&S's Clairon 13 this year and Best of Show at RT 66 "Cruisin with a Heart" car show in Glen Allen, VA. last weekend so I'm thinking I've got a pretty decent car.

Did it win anything, not really, got a trophy but nothing really meaningful, more of something for entering I think. The big winners was all the complete restoration, hot rods and muscle cars. I found out in the open car shows PT's are not very well received in this area.

I'm sure other PT owners has entered their cars in open car shows and wondered how well they were received in your area .

Sorry, but needed to get this off my chest

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 10 Aug 2013, 04:26 pm
Banned

Default Re: Car show and PT Cruiser

I would think its because its too new of a car, one people see on the road all the time.

Yeah in a pt show you have alot better chance of winning.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Car show and PT Cruiser

I have done a lot of shows with my cruiser and have found out which show's accept the cruiser more than others but it took me to learn which one's not to re enter the next year .so there are a few I would never enter again.

I tell people at the show that my cruiser did not have to wait for 20 yrs to be a winner it came off the assembly line a winner

Last edited by mityqwik; 10 Aug 2013 at 06:22 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 10 Aug 2013, 07:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mityqwik View Post
I tell people at the show that my cruiser did not have to wait for 20 yrs to be a winner it came off the assembly line a winner

Old 10 Aug 2013, 08:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like you should get a snarling German Sheppard and keep him in the trailer ...
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 10:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Car show and PT Cruiser

Don't feel bad....It sounds like you went to a beauty pageant,and you just happened to be the youngest 'pretty girl' there;Amongst a bunch a jealous 'harpies'!.....I wish you better luck in the next show.
mityqwik likes this.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 06:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I acually did some thinking about car shows in general:

- One puts thousands of $ into a car.
- One cleans his car rigorously, even on places no-one sees.
- One drives hundreds of miles to enter a show where...
- One has to pay entrance fee to participate the show.
- To maybe win a $20 throphy...

So I say "to hell with that" and I simply enjoy the comments of the people I meet in everyday life. And if I go to a show, it's simply to be around car enthousiasts and enjoy my day. Couldn't care less for throphy's

And to be honest: at 100% PT shows it are mostly the chromed-up ones who get the prices. While, if I were a judge, I would pass allmost every PT that has too much chrome on it.
asa323 likes this.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 11 Aug 2013, 09:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teska View Post
And to be honest: at 100% PT shows it are mostly the chromed-up ones who get the prices. While, if I were a judge, I would pass allmost every PT that has too much chrome on it.
Don't necessarlly agree with your chromed-up view but to each his own. Most of the shows that I have been to for PT's wasn't about who had the most chrome but more about who had something a little different and with lots of attention to detail.

Case in point, three of BOS at RTTB.

None of these are overdone with chrome. What's there is done tastefully and do not think there is to much chrome. Just my opinion

Old 11 Aug 2013, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

To each his own. I like to compete. Doesn't matter what kind of show, indoors or out. I showed my Corvette and PT. Traveled hundreds, even a thousand miles (Niagara Falls - twice), the Carolina's, Georgia but mostly all over Florida. Doesn't matter if it's a $.10 blue ribbon or a $50 4 foot high trophy, it's a great feeling to win or be among the winners.

Will admit, that in the last two years I've stop competing as I guess I've burned out from sitting in the hot sun. I still go to shows when it's an event where one of my clubs attends in force but I put a sign in the front window that says "For Display Only".

mityqwik likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Aug 2013 at 09:57 am.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 11:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I for the most part go to the shows every now and then, but do not compete anymore like I used to. I find that I don't have the patience like before to stand around for hours.

Nowadays I just go to borrow ideas and learn new things whenever possible, and take off early.

Last and the only time I took the Cruiser to a show I got "some" interest, but nothing like when I take the '86 Mustang, which gets a whole different reaction.