PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dinging Sound in 2007 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2013, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dinging Sound in 2007 PT Cruiser

Hello,

If I am posting in the wrong forum please advised, and I will see about redirecting the post.

My fiance and I has a 2007 PT Cruiser that has a Dinging sound that occurs. When it happens there is no dash lights, and the dinging sound doesn't match the same dinging sound as if the door was open, gas light on or anything... I cannot find this particular type of dinging sound anywhere.

Yes, I have already contacted the company that I got the car from(Since I am still paying for it), they advised that this particular sound is when the Chrystler Dealership had sold the car to someone, and said someone didn't make a payment on it, so they sent a signal to initiate the dinging sound before turning the car off.

I got the car from JD Byrider, and they advised that they don't control that, and that I would need to see about how to get it disabled or taken out since we have a baby on the way.

Can anyone advised on this? or have any idea what exactly this is?

Thank you.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 12:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Dinging Sound in 2007 PT Cruiser

how long have you had the car? if indeed it is what they say it is, it IS their problem for selling a car with that problem. they should have had the dinging taken care of at their cost.

was it dinging when you bought the car? if so, what did they say it was?

we need a little more information to better evaluate the problem.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You say there's no lights so can you get close to the sound and find out where it's coming from? Should be able to take the bottom pieces of the dash off and get a better look and disable it yourself. Personally, never heard of such a contraption as that. Even Low Jack doesn't emit a sound when activated to warn off the people who stole it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We got the car back in Feburary.

When we first got the car, it didn;t have the issue. It has been ongoing for about 3 weeks now.

JD Byrider advised that since the feature was in the car when they got it, they are not aware of it, nor how to resolve it.

It started the same day that I was searching the car for my wallet.. I was looking under the seats and all that for it.

My fiance had her mechanic look at it, and he advised that the plugs(I forgot the technical term) are all snugged in, so it is not anything with like the dash light saying the seat belt isn't plugged in or anything like that.

I do notice that under the seats it has like a metal plate with 4 plugs that are all tightly in..

I know I bumped some of the wires themselves, but it hasn't set off the dash lights for the seat belt or anything.

Also when the seat belt is unplugged the dash light is on, and it dings about 4 times.

This particular ding that is ongoing happens only when the car is in motion and will ding 8 times then stop.

Also this particular ding has a higher tone, then the ones that set off from any lights that come on the dash.

I hope all this is useful information.. If I left anything out, please let me know.

Thank you.

Last edited by kenulrich; 11 Aug 2013 at 02:22 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 02:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know the sound comes from behind the dash itself. That is really all I know about it. When I get the chance I will see about taking the dash out to try to trace it. It mainly dings while it is in Drive. So I am not sure if I would be able to get it to ding while parked and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You say there's no lights so can you get close to the sound and find out where it's coming from? Should be able to take the bottom pieces of the dash off and get a better look and disable it yourself. Personally, never heard of such a contraption as that. Even Low Jack doesn't emit a sound when activated to warn off the people who stole it.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is a ding that sort of doesn't set a light off (but should be on already). It's the "left your turn signal on". I think it's different than other sounds, but surely you'd know if the turn signal is on. Maybe it's stuck.

Also, since it happens only when in motion, could be a stuck open door latch, rear hatch gate or seat belt latch but all of them should set a light on the dash.

You could try resetting the computer. Take off the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. Step on the brake pedal, then reattach everything and go for a ride. Might be a little rough while the computer relearns your settings.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Aug 2013 at 02:37 pm.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 04:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

what CREWZIN said. and, i highly doubt it would be what jd byrider suggested. even if it had the non pay thing, it wouldn't start going off by itself 8 months later.

Tags
pt cruiser 2007