PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removing upper dash, bezels, and speedometer!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2013, 09:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Removing upper dash, bezels, and speedometer!

Removing the various parts of the dash that are most commonly ask about. First the window switch. It has two tabs on the top that need a little nudge to pop this out.

Next the connector and the screw for the center bezel.

Remove the knobs and the center bezel by pulling straight out towards the rear of the car.

Now remove the windshield pillar post covers.Starting at thee top, pull towards the center of the windshield. Then pull the taps right out.

Now remove the upper dash cover by removing the two screws fro the center bezel opening abd grasping the corners an pulling towards the rear of the car . Do not lift up just pull to you an both sides until you slide it out. Be careful handling this as it will crack rather easily. Give it plenty of support as you carry this.

Now pull down the center section under the steering column. Just pull with your hand it will hing right down. This will give you access to the two screws to remove the left lower dash corner.

Remove the bezel from the speedo. It has a wire that's attached , so just lay this on top of the dash and remove the screws for the speedo. On the top screws it the one on the black tab. Pull it to you then roll it out on the bottom and pull it out.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 27 Feb 2015 at 11:38 am.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 09:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Removing upper dash, bezels, and speedometer!

Hey Danny;I noticed the tabs on your window switch are cracked like mine.......Any tips on how to keep them from breaking when re-inserted,or removed in the future?......I was thinking about putting a little bit of JB Weld on the cracks of mine;Do you think that's good or bad idea?....I'm open to an alternative,but I do think it needs something to strengthen it,and prevent total breakage.......Also;Is it true that you shouldn't lay the instrument cluster on it's back,or turn it upside-down,because they are 'fluid filled'?

Last edited by randyincctx; 15 Aug 2013 at 09:37 pm.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Removing upper dash, bezels, and speedometer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Hey Danny;I noticed the tabs on your window switch are cracked like mine.......Any tips on how to keep them from breaking when re-inserted,or removed in the future?......I was thinking about putting a little bit of JB Weld on the cracks of mine;Do you think that's good or bad idea?....I'm open to an alternative,but I do think it needs something to strengthen it,and prevent total breakage.......Also;Is it true that you shouldn't lay the instrument cluster on it's back,or turn it upside-down,because they are 'fluid filled'?
Mine was already cracked. Keep the glue towards the switch side. Maybe epoxy, it's more flexible. Not had any problems with the speedo's. When they get shipped they get turned all sorts of ways. When new or used. So do as you feel you need to.I personally don't take any precautions. Haven't ever had any speedo have any problem from being out and stored wrong. The only bad ones were in the car already.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Aug 2013, 10:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Removing upper dash, bezels, and speedometer!

By the way,good photo 'how-to'...You've probably noticed (like I have) how several people a week ask: "How do I remove the center bezel and/or gauges?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Mine was already cracked.
Mine was already cracked also.....I assumed from heat/sun,because I know I was careful removing it.

Quote:
Keep the glue towards the switch side..
Yeah,I figured that much,and apply with a flat toothpick....Not much clearance left on the topside for epoxy(or anything).
Old 15 Aug 2013, 10:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Added it to the HOW TO section of the forum. Thanks.
Busted_PT likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks danny, this is exactly what I needed in order to accomplish my mod. Just hoping to get done in the near future. I'm to freaking beat tonight.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Removing upper dash, bezels, and speedometer!

Here's what happens if you don't know when to stop.....Hahaha
IMAG0286_1.jpg
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Here's what happens if you don't know when to stop.....Hahaha
Attachment 8711
Naw, this is what happens when that damned annoying chime gets on your nerves. Just to find out all you had to do was take the key out of the ignition. Lol.

Would any of you happen to have a picture of the INSIDE of the instrument cluster? Like if you were to pull the gauges face half off the cluster
Old 16 Aug 2013, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Try ROCKETMAN4060 or something like that. In the projects section. I know he did some cluster mods.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Aug 2013, 12:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

When I first removed the instrument cluster fascia, I modified the turn indicator light harness attachments so I could remove and replace the fascia in the future. Indeed, the fascia has been modified in the living room several times.
With a razor knife I cut the tape and freed the wire harness from the fascia backside. I used small stick-on cable organizers with (un)lock tabs, attached to the oem taping tabs.

Quote:
Remove the bezel from the speedo. It has a wire that's attached , so just lay this on top of the dash and remove the screws for the speedo. On the top screws it the one on the black tab. Pull it to you then roll it out on the bottom and pull it out.

randyincctx likes this.