Gearbox clunking

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrbsr05pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2013, 04:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gearbox clunking

Hi folks,

My 2.4 2004 (UK) PT Cruiser had it's MOT Test on Saturday... while it passed (after some work on the brakes) the guys doing the test commented on a 'banging' from the front end.

I'd not really noticed it but sure enough when driving there's a loud click/bang sound as gears change or I come to a stop.

It's an automatic model with just over 50k miles on the clock.
Transmission fluid and filter were changed around 10k miles ago.

The guys in the garage suggested it's almost certainly the gearbox but didn't sound like a fix was likely...

The car itself seems to be driving well and it changes gear (give or take the noise) pretty happily.

Any thoughts on how worried I should be?
Anything I should do?

Thanks!
Steve
Old 19 Aug 2013, 07:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Gearbox clunking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stek2008 View Post
Hi folks,

My 2.4 2004 (UK) PT Cruiser had it's MOT Test on Saturday... while it passed (after some work on the brakes) the guys doing the test commented on a 'banging' from the front end.

I'd not really noticed it but sure enough when driving there's a loud click/bang sound as gears change or I come to a stop.

It's an automatic model with just over 50k miles on the clock.
Transmission fluid and filter were changed around 10k miles ago.

The guys in the garage suggested it's almost certainly the gearbox but didn't sound like a fix was likely...

The car itself seems to be driving well and it changes gear (give or take the noise) pretty happily.

Any thoughts on how worried I should be?
Anything I should do?

Thanks!
Steve
I'm not no car guru but my first place to check would be motor mounts.
UptownSport likes this.
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Old 19 Aug 2013, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbsr05pt View Post
I'm not no car guru but my first place to check would be motor mounts.
Yes i would agree. Then axles, then have the ring and pinion checked. Check that a wheel was no left loose, sounds just like a trans going bad.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 07 Oct 2013, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Was recently having similar symptoms on my 03 PT with standard transmission. Clunked when I would let out clutch or shift in lower gears. Also when decelerating in lower gears. Turned out to be the passenger side wheel bearing that was the culprit. Replaced it and all the clunking sounds disappeared.
Old 07 Oct 2013, 08:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjan357 View Post
Was recently having similar symptoms on my 03 PT with standard transmission. Clunked when I would let out clutch or shift in lower gears. Also when decelerating in lower gears. Turned out to be the passenger side wheel bearing that was the culprit. Replaced it and all the clunking sounds disappeared.
I was assuming that those things would be checked by the MOT inspection on the op's PT.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com