PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT 2006 overheating with smoke

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2013, 12:03 am
skylight's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,319
Default PT 2006 overheating with smoke

yesterday on my way home, my '06 PT suddenly display and sound off overheating signal.
while searching for a suitable place to stop, white smoke starts to appear in front of my windscreen from the hood and i heard boiling sound from driver seat.

after cool down (about 20 minutes), i slowly drive back home (within 500meter) with aircon off. the temperature meter at normal.
then i tried to look around the radiator, the fan seems to be spinning at that moment.

today, i slowly drive to dealer for inspection (about 10km) with aircon off. the temperature meter at normal throughout the journey.
the dealer after doing the pressure test, said the radiator fan is not working and needs to be replaced.

it is indeed not spinning now. but yesterday the fan seems to spin fine after cooling down.

is it possible that the faulty radiator fan caused the overheating and burnt out the coolant which probably caused the white smoke?
__________________
PT Cruiser

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2013, 02:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: PT 2006 overheating with smoke

Neon,

The white smoke could be either of two things: steam from a pin-hole or leak in one of the hoses or the compressor venting R134A into the atmosphere which it does if the compressor gets too hot, usually from the radiator fan not working.

The boiling sound is the coolant in the overflow bottle. It does that when air gets into the coolant system (lowering the boiling point) from being low because of a loss of coolant somewhere.

Part of the radiator fan burning out is indeed a common problem with all years of the PT. The brushes inside the motor tend to burn out causing one or both speeds of the fan to stop working.

If it was diagnosed as the fan not working properly by the dealer, replacing the fan motor will cure your overheating as long as the coolant is topped off and all the air is bled from the system.

The dealer wants an exorbitant amount of money to replace the fan and it can be replaced by you if you have the time to wait for a new fan and have some basic mechanical skills. We have the instructions in the HOW TO section of the forum but it can be a daunting procedure if you've never done anything like that before.

Not sure, in your part of the world, where you would pick up a new fan and housing which could be another problem.
skylight likes this.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2013, 03:15 am
skylight's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,319
Default Re: PT 2006 overheating with smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The dealer wants an exorbitant amount of money to replace the fan and it can be replaced by you if you have the time to wait for a new fan and have some basic mechanical skills. We have the instructions in the HOW TO section of the forum but it can be a daunting procedure if you've never done anything like that before.

Not sure, in your part of the world, where you would pick up a new fan and housing which could be another problem.
carey, thanks for the explanation.

you are right that the dealer is asking for pretty expensive rate to replace the fan.

i've never done any hands-on before, so i think i will be a sucker and let the dealer do the repair.

the dealer didnt have the fan in stock even though they are the official chrysler dealer here, so they will place order and ship from overseas. their reason being, PT is out of production so they only keep stock for very common problem parts (i guess they only keep stock for cheap and small parts).
__________________
PT Cruiser

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2013, 03:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 27,744
Default Re: PT 2006 overheating with smoke

Neon,

We've heard plenty of times that owners went to the dealer and paid something like $600 for the replacement which is hard to believe. We send everyone to RockAuto Parts Catalog for parts including a new fan/housing and a Dorman fan (with lifetime guarantee) can be picked up for $100 and with our instructions here on the forum someone with basic mechanical skill can change it in about 2 hours (or less).

Anyway, another good thing to remember if when you ever overheat again is to turn on the interior heater of the car. This lets the coolant flow into the heater core using a few feet of hose and the core itself to help cool down the coolant. Not a great thing in the summer time but can help you get to a safe place to get the car fixed.

Glad you were able to get home and good luck with the fix.
__________________
Rules of the forum have been updated as of *07/07/2019* Please read them over.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2013, 04:06 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,266
Default Re: PT 2006 overheating with smoke

Good answers by Crewzin. Get a guarantee too.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2013, 04:40 am
skylight's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 1,319
Default Re: PT 2006 overheating with smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Neon,

We've heard plenty of times that owners went to the dealer and paid something like $600 for the replacement which is hard to believe. We send everyone to RockAuto Parts Catalog for parts including a new fan/housing and a Dorman fan (with lifetime guarantee) can be picked up for $100 and with our instructions here on the forum someone with basic mechanical skill can change it in about 2 hours (or less).

Anyway, another good thing to remember if when you ever overheat again is to turn on the interior heater of the car. This lets the coolant flow into the heater core using a few feet of hose and the core itself to help cool down the coolant. Not a great thing in the summer time but can help you get to a safe place to get the car fixed.

Glad you were able to get home and good luck with the fix.
noted

hopefully after replacing the fan, it wont eventually turn out that the overheating is caused by other factor, since the technician is quite certain that the fan is the main culprit
__________________
PT Cruiser

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 21 Aug 2013, 06:33 am
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,886
Default Re: PT 2006 overheating with smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylight View Post
noted

hopefully after replacing the fan, it wont eventually turn out that the overheating is caused by other factor, since the technician is quite certain that the fan is the main culprit
If it got hot enough to boil over to the overflow, it also could have overflowed the overflow tank and got on the exhaust piping and steamed. The smoke.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 22 Aug 2013, 01:55 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,266
Default Re: PT 2006 overheating with smoke

Sky; Check the coolant level at the RADIATOR cap when the engine is cold. It should be full. Install cap - run engine till temp gage gets to ~half way - low speed fan should run [visually check]. Ride around the block and you should HEAR the high speed fan cycle on and off.

The words 'quite certain' bother me.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overheating 2006 Jbarr Tech & Performance Forum 10 22 Feb 2013 10:30 am
200,000 Miles and now she wants to smoke? Teknoron67 General PT Cruiser Discussions 23 13 Aug 2012 04:15 pm
2006 PT overheating after radiator flush jpassons Tech & Performance Forum 10 13 Jul 2011 05:19 pm
HO LEE SMOKE! Cal Cruzer Stage Turbo Kits 18 28 May 2005 03:18 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors