Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
auto trans problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2013, 01:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default auto trans problems.

I recently installed a rebuilt automatic trans in my 2001 pt cruiser. Drove it out to cali from Az no problem. Then out of the blue it started not going into reverse . This happens after I drive it some. It'll maybe go into reverse once while cold, but two minuets later it won't go into reverse.
I have more money in this car then my house, can any one give me a place to start looking for the cause of this new problem?
Could it be something simple like the neutral safety switch.
After installing the new rebuilt tranny the key wouldn't engage the starter, so I had to run a wire straight to the solenoid with a button to start it, after the key was turned on . Could this be related?
Any help or advice would really be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 04:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: auto trans problems.

Always check the trans fluid first. ATF+4 only! The transmission is shifted electronically thru the solenoid pack. It could simply be a bad connector or wire. Don't get too excited yet!
Old 21 Aug 2013, 07:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
I recently installed a rebuilt automatic trans in my 2001 pt cruiser. Drove it out to cali from Az no problem. Then out of the blue it started not going into reverse . This happens after I drive it some. It'll maybe go into reverse once while cold, but two minuets later it won't go into reverse.
I have more money in this car then my house, can any one give me a place to start looking for the cause of this new problem?
Could it be something simple like the neutral safety switch.
After installing the new rebuilt tranny the key wouldn't engage the starter, so I had to run a wire straight to the solenoid with a button to start it, after the key was turned on . Could this be related?
Any help or advice would really be appreciated. Thank you.
I would check the connections for the cable housing. Could have been left loose. You should still be under the warranty period of the shop that fixed it. The key could the electrical part of the ignition switch is worn out not hard to replace. Your vehicle info , like mileage and so forth would be handy.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Aug 2013, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We still don't have it fixed, but were pretty sure its the adjustment in the cable. I followed the instructions in the chilton manual and first try it shifted perfect and had more power. Only problem was the key wouldn't come out. So I adjusted that, then it wouldn't shift at all.
I've been tinkering with those two adjustment for two days and can't seem to get it dialed in. At one point even the key would turn the starter over(been using a jerry rigged starter button sence getting trans back in car)but that was short lived.
To say this is frustrating is an understatement. Any advice or helpfull hints? Thank you. I'd junk it but I got to much time and money tied up in it to give up now. By the way its a 2001, with 160,000 miles on it. It broke more then its fixed. That helps keep the mileage down.