PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Am I overloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2013, 10:04 am
Young Cruiser

Default Am I overloading?

Guys,

I'm packing for a long trip: NC to RI. I'll be driving this afternoon and tomorrow morning.
I'm concerned for overloading my PT. I'm relocating, so I obviously have quite a lot of stuff. How do I know I'm not overloading?
Rear wheels don't seem to low, but is that enough of a factor to judge?
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Am I overloading?

Id have to pull out the owners manual to check, but if you figure that the cruiser is designed to hold at least 2 average size adults front and back, and stuff in the trunk area, you should be able to stuff you and 700-800 pounds of crap in there without too much issue. And if half of your stuff is clothes and linens and such, you wont be coming anywhere close to that unless you are hauling a weight set.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 11:21 am
Young Cruiser

I checked; 2 adults in the front, 3 in the back, plus trunk, for a total max of 865 lbs.
I do have a weight set to be honest, but it shouldn't be more than 150 lbs total. Besides that I basically have clothes, shoes, books, nothing particularly heavy that I can think of. The rear wheels are lowered compared to normal, but do not seem to be too lowered, at least to my eye.
What would be the recommended pressure on tires? In the door it says 34 psi, but my auto repair who changed a tire and rebalanced put everything at 36/37 psi.

Thanks!
Old 23 Aug 2013, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That is good pressure if the tire is rated for 44 max.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i think you'll be fine. i've loaded mine filling every available space helping a friend move. i mean stuffing stuff under the seats and filling it all the way to the roof. you probably wont even notice a difference. only time i noticed i had mine loaded good was with brick and mulch, which is much heavier than normal cargo like you're planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
a couple weeks ago i bought 15 bags of mulch and 40 bricks, about 575lbs. i had the rear seats in, and my little 110lb girlfriend. the car was just slightly slower acceleration wise. the big unexpected difference i felt was in the braking. it feels weird when you push the pedal like normal with all that weight. you feel the momentum
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
once a week I pick up feed with my PT I get 600 pounds of Horse feed and 100 pounds of pig feed so 700# of feed and what ever else I get and on the highway I really don't get much if any mpg difference like said stopping fast is not a really good plan but if you stand on them she will stop
Old 23 Aug 2013, 01:11 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
That is good pressure if the tire is rated for 44 max.
Three of them are; one tire I had to replace because of a flat spot I noticed earlier is rated for 40 max.