Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2013, 05:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking A/C Switch

I had my '06 PT into the dealer because the A/C wasn't working properly. It would blow warm air for some time and then blow cool/cold. Sometimes it would stay cold for a while but then go back to warm.

I took it in for a recharge. I was told, after diagnosis, that it had a full charge. They were able to jump one circuit and the A/C stayed on, so they believed it to be a switch in the system, which they ordered for a cost of $45.

Today's diagnosis cost $139 and the switch, tax and the time to "pop it in" next week will bring the repair to $219.

Stupid me, I didn't ask for the exact name of the switch or the part number. I asked the Service Manager if I could change it myself and he didn't know what to say. I would like to find an aftermarket source for the switch and swap it out myself.

Does anyone here have an idea what this $45 switch is and where in the system it is located? Thanks a bunch.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 06:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: A/C Switch

Whether you or they replace said 'mystery switch'(I assume A/C relay?but IDK).....I would highly recommend genuine Mopar parts fro ANYTHING electrical,mechanical OEM parts are OK;But,many people have had poor luck with OEM electrical parts (i.e. NOT Mopar!) on PT Cruisers,either they just don't work properly,or fail sooner than Mopar.....J/S
Old 23 Aug 2013, 06:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: A/C Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
I asked the Service Manager if I could change it myself and he didn't know what to say.
Most SMs aren't exactly forthcoming on telling you how/or what you need to repair your car;They'd lose alot money,and 10%+ commissions if they did that!
Old 23 Aug 2013, 08:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Switch

I bet it was the pressure switch. To diagnose it you jump the circuit to see if the system kicks on. It just unscrews and the new one screws on. When you take the old one off a valve will close so you don't lose any refrigerant.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 08:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: A/C Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
High Pressure switch is on the compressor itself and requires the discharging. Low pressure switch (or Recycling) is on the Accumulator and is easy to replace but that recycles the compressor when it's running.
Low pressure (recycling) switch.
Thought this might help.....Although not 100% sure if 2006+up is the same setup.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 08:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: A/C Switch

In that the dealer estimated a half hour labor to "pop it in" and they didn't say I needed a recharge, I am guessing it is the low pressure switch. I could buy the one they ordered and change it myself.