PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil leak, or something else?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2013, 12:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Oil leak, or something else?

Being broke, I've not been able to take my 2003 PT Cruiser Touring for a while, but, feeling a little more confident under the hood (i.e. good at following directions), I've been wondering if there is anything *I* can do with the following problem, which is this:

There seems to be some sort of leak, near the engine oil fill spigot, that doesn't seem to be getting to the ground. It IS, however, hitting a part in under the hood (unidentified in the Owner's Guide), burning, and then smoking, and getting in the car as well to the point where I often switch the Circulation Control to Recirculate.

I do live in Seattle, and it is very hilly here, and I've noticed that the fluid drips onto the hot unidentified metal especially when my driving at the time's included steep inclines and descents. Anyhow, here are some pictures:

In the first, the red circle identifies the hot metal piece I'm referring to. The fluid seems to be burning here:

The second shows some pooling near the oil fill cap - though it's not from me spilling during filling. Also is a tube I'm unfamilar with, that also seems a potential source for leak:

Anyhow, thoughts? Any potentially easy fix? Additionally, does the fact that I'm getting the burned air in the interior (when control is turned to Outside Air) indicative of a problem with any other tubing or otherwise under the hood as well? Would this be related to the air filter cleaner or air cleaner box?

Lastly, is there anywhere out there a user-friendly document that would indicate my car's parts, placement, and how they work? Like the Owner's Guide but in far more detail. I want to learn!

And thank you for any help!
Old 30 Aug 2013, 03:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil leak, or something else?

If you are not spilling then the problem Looks to be the valve cover gaskets. this includes the spark plug hole gasket rings. The tube you are showing are the spark plug wires. The plug hole will be full of oil to, if you pull the wire off the plug. The burning is from it being blown or dripping on the exhaust manifold and heat shield. There are lots of how to's and technical documents in the sticky's at the top of the page in the tech and performance page. The Members projects section will also have lots of mechanical stuff in their threads that will teach you lots of things about your pt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Aug 2013, 08:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
Buy a worm clamp and put it on the rubber tube on the left in your picture where the spring clip is, on the off chance that is leaking the oil.
Sorry, but if you don't recognize that the "tube" on the right is a spark plug wire, you are unlikely to be able to tackle anything more mechanical.
Make sure the oil cap is on right - it'll click to prevent overtightening.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Aug 2013, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As QSD just said: "sorry....." . Where did you have the last oil change since it was probably done for you. They could have gotten sloppy and missed the oil fill hole and dribbled some down the back of the engine into that recess.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey all, yeah, I've been tightening til it clicks, and yeah, the oil repools after I try and absorb some out. So I think it's what Busted PT suggests. I've noticed the first on the left both have fluid at their bases, but not the last on the right end. Would I need to replace them all? Is that a total of 4? I've also found a couple links that address the problem... thanks!
Old 01 Sep 2013, 05:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
Hey all, yeah, I've been tightening til it clicks, and yeah, the oil repools after I try and absorb some out. So I think it's what Busted PT suggests. I've noticed the first on the left both have fluid at their bases, but not the last on the right end. Would I need to replace them all? Is that a total of 4? I've also found a couple links that address the problem... thanks!
The valve cover gasket kit comes with the rings for the plug holes. I have seen the power steering push fluid out of the canister. It will be red or clear. Depending if it's using power steering fluid or trans fluid.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Sep 2013, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, I just saw that, thanks... just looked at some replacements at the Autozone site... also in my research I've been seeing references to a Haynes book. Is that considered a reputable resource, generally?
Old 01 Sep 2013, 05:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Oil leak, or something else?

I will make a suggestion....If you do the valve cover gasket job yourself,make sure the plug gaskets are seated correctly before you button her up.....A few plug gaskets have shifted on other people while reinstalling the valve cover,and they ended up still leaking oil because of it......So,check twice(or 3 times?lol),and torque down once!
Old 01 Sep 2013, 05:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Haynes and Chilton do a large paperback book that's great for generalized information. I wouldn't go tearing down the engine or replacing the timing belt without more information like from this forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, yeah, I was looking at average customer reviews on Amazon, and it seems like Chilton was the favored of the two. Would you say that's generally true? Additionally, would purchasing an older edition be just as reliable? I'm looking at the Chilton 2001-2003 edition with used copies starting at around 4 bucks... as my PT is 2003.

Additionally, I would need to purchase a torque wrench. I was looking at one with a range of 10-80 FOOT-pounds, and one with 20-200 INCH/pounds... What would the conversion factor be? Any recommendations for a general range for work in the PT Cruiser?

Thanks again!

Tags
hood, leak, oil