PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel economy upgrades?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2013, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuel economy upgrades?

Hello everybody! First time PT Cruiser owner and I have one question: what can I do to improve my fuel economy? It says I'm getting an average of 18.3 mpg and I would like to improve this if possible.

My Cruiser is a 2008 Auto Base model with 39k miles.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 04:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel economy upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV1981 View Post
Hello everybody! First time PT Cruiser owner and I have one question: what can I do to improve my fuel economy? It says I'm getting an average of 18.3 mpg and I would like to improve this if possible.

My Cruiser is a 2008 Auto Base model with 39k miles.
As most ppl will tell u on here. There is not much that can b done to improve the mpg it's an odd shaped car and not very aero dynamic
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So a different Air Intake and/or a high diameter spark plug wire wouldn't have an affect? I was looking at these because I did it to my 02 Neon.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 04:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't believe the hype the after market intakes tell you. Larger wires won't do a thing. Proper plugs set to .040 in and a good brand plug wire and a clean filter is best. As Crid already said, the PT isn't known for aerodynamics. Changing your driving habits, pump up your tires for less rolling resistance and synthetic oil will help. If you were looking for good gas mileage, asking before buying would have come up with answers telling you what the PT gets. Not the sticker from the dealer. If you live in the city with lots of stop and go driving your about out of luck. Rural driving at 55-60 on cruise control will obtain the best results.
mole likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 30 Aug 2013 at 04:44 pm.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was aware of the lower mpg since my parents owned a 2002 Touring, I was just wondering if they was anything I could replace to get my MPG a little higher than 18.3 mpg. My driving is a combination city and highway depending on how I go to work. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to try the tire thing.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 06:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

That was the problem on my cruiser, but I changed my habits and I get around 20-22 mpg in the city.
Old 30 Aug 2013, 08:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Fuel economy upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Don't believe the hype the after market intakes tell you. Larger wires won't do a thing. Proper plugs set to .040 in and a good brand plug wire and a clean filter is best. As Crid already said, the PT isn't known for aerodynamics. Changing your driving habits, pump up your tires for less rolling resistance and synthetic oil will help. If you were looking for good gas mileage, asking before buying would have come up with answers telling you what the PT gets. Not the sticker from the dealer. If you live in the city with lots of stop and go driving your about out of luck. Rural driving at 55-60 on cruise control will obtain the best results.
THIS^^^

There is no substitute for a well-tuned engine and a light foot.
If it's a standard tranny, shift around 3,000RPM.
Aftermarket air intake - to be truthful I got about 2 MPG more...but I did new wires & plugs at the same time.
For a na 5-speed, my AirRaid intake gave me a pleasant growl, and distinctly better pedal response...which also may have contributed to the 2 MPG+.

*But, I did get 29 MPG on a long trip East with the wind at my back window...and few stops.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 30 Aug 2013, 08:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The auto is the problem, vast difference in what auto and 5spd owners report.
Mine was an auto and it got 23. Max.

18 is on the low side.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 03:38 am
Senior Cruiser

JV; A lot of good advice was given. For a ballpark test, take a cruise at 65 mph with no a/c and no mountains. You should be over 25 mpg with an automatic.

The only other thing you might try is changing the o2 sensor that's in the exhaust manifold. Chryslers are made by ntk [I heard]. Nobody lists specifications that I could find. City driving [especially with the a/c on] drops the mileage quickly.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 07:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for the input. I used a lighter foot last night on the drive home and my mpg started to increase. It'll take some work, but I should be able to get the hang of it.

Soonercruiser what plugs, wires and AirRaid intake do you have? I'm thinking about getting platinum tipped plugs (another thing I did to my Neon).