Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to remove chrome solid bezel on solid antenna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2013, 06:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Question How to remove chrome solid bezel on solid antenna

I'm changing the right front fender and hood on my 2005. Our local pull-n-pay gave 50% off on everything for the holiday and fortunately there were a few PT's with bad fenders to experment on but I couldn't figure out how to remove the chrome bezel on a solid stalk antenna. I bought the fender for $25.99 and the hood for $33.99. An amazing deal and they're both prestine just not the right color. We know to remove the antenna stalk with a 10MM wrench. Obviously the chrome bezel can be removed with a special tool but how can I do it with my meager tools? I'd prefer to remove my existing antenna and use it on the donor fender. Help, thanks, ptprice
Old 01 Sep 2013, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to remove chrome solid bezel on solid antenna

The bezel itself should just pop right off, it's the piece at the bottom of the antenna that needs a special tool OR, take small flat tipped screwdriver and put it into the grove that's showing (other grove will be around the back of the piece). Tap lightly on the screwdriver to get that piece to start turning counter-clockwise. A couple taps ought to do it and then you can unscrew it by hand.

If it's on a good fender that you don't want scratched, put a few trips of masking tape all around the area so if the screwdriver slips, it will hit the tape and not the fender.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Sep 2013, 07:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Niether needle nose pliers, needle nose vice grips or tapping with a flat head screwdriver have worked to loosen the chrome bezel while expermenting on the clunker fenders @ the PULL-N-PAY. This is why I posed my question as I'd reviewed all the posted removal solutions. I'll try it again in the light of day and hope for another solution. Perhaps I can carve out the rubber grommet carefully and get a better grip on the %#@# thing to protect the integrity of the doner fender. I truely hesititate to try the removing the good antenna on my PT until I get this technique figured out.Thanks, ptprice
Old 01 Sep 2013, 09:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: How to remove chrome solid bezel on solid antenna

Your actually supposed to use an 'Antenna Wrench' to remove the bottom nut on the antenna: Steck Manufacturing Antenna Wrench: Tools : Walmart.com

AntennaWrench.jpg(But how many DIY'ers are gonna invest in one???......I have used a quarter held by Vise-grips to remove one before!)

Last edited by randyincctx; 01 Sep 2013 at 09:36 pm. Reason: More Info....
Old 01 Sep 2013, 10:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Squirt it with PB Blaster and give it a few minutes for it to penetrate, come back to it with a decent flat-head screwdriver and a hammer. Tapping it a few times should brake it loose now.

Oh, and when doing this to your car, make sure to tape around it and lay some kind of rags or something, in case the tools slip and scratch the paint.

That's how I would do it anyways.

Old 01 Sep 2013, 10:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll soak it in penatrating oil overnight, shoot it with a heat gun in the morning and bang on it again. If you hear cussin' in the morning it still didn't come looose. I may modify a set of needlle nose vice grips with a file and dedicate them just to this removal project. Thanks, ptprice
Old 01 Sep 2013, 11:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: How to remove chrome solid bezel on solid antenna

Do you have 'Snap Ring Pliers'?.....Sometimes those will work also.