PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC blowing warm air and engine studder at idle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2013, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC blowing warm air and engine studder at idle?

I've read so many different things concerning this issue and it seems NOT one mechanic really has a clue other than just start swapping out parts, Fan Assembly, Relays, etc. The AC works GREAT when the car is moving, when in traffic its not working, I can hear the compressor kicking on and off and the fan SOMETIMES works but often I don't hear it run... Last time I took it to the mechanic the darn fan worked... sooooo any idea's or links to parts to buy and or fix would be appreciated. It's a 2006 PT Cruiser non-turbo, with ONLY 42,385 original miles literally driven by my mother and purchase brand new back in 2006 by her as well. Any help would be appreciated thanks Tom in Virginia Beach VA
Old 02 Sep 2013, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC blowing warm air and engine studder at idle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme4tv View Post
I've read so many different things concerning this issue and it seems NOT one mechanic really has a clue other than just start swapping out parts, Fan Assembly, Relays, etc. The AC works GREAT when the car is moving, when in traffic its not working, I can hear the compressor kicking on and off and the fan SOMETIMES works but often I don't hear it run... Last time I took it to the mechanic the darn fan worked... sooooo any idea's or links to parts to buy and or fix would be appreciated. It's a 2006 PT Cruiser non-turbo, with ONLY 42,385 original miles literally driven by my mother and purchase brand new back in 2006 by her as well. Any help would be appreciated thanks Tom in Virginia Beach VA
If the fan works occasionally then I would assume that the problem is off and on too. If the brushes in the fan are worn down, they are loosing contact with the armature. No contact no turn. Given the ac is pretty much anytime your in the car in your area, I say you have a bad fan.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 02 Sep 2013, 10:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

• Could be coolant pressure is too low
  • Could be coolant pressure is too high
  • Could be VOV strainer is clogged
  • Could be, if there was a leak, that the Accumulator's desiccant bag is wasted
  • Could be the low level cycling clutch switch on the Accumulator is busted
  • Could be hundreds of issues!

Tom, I'm an HVAC geek, but to tell you the truth, I'm getting worn out posting replies on these forums about this. Go check out the thread I just posted on yesterday: A/C problems

If you go through those items listed and cannot find anything wrong, then let me know, PM me, as I'm really wanting to come down to VA Beach on a weekend and just haven't taken the time to. Would be glad to come by your place as VA Beach is only two hours drive from where I am here outside of Richmond. Course, it'll take me probably three hours to get there as there are so many places along the way I'll want to stop at and do photo shoots....lol

Have you had your hi/low sides measured with manifold gauges? If not, I have all of that kind of stuff with me in my PT - manifold gauges, charging system, vacuum system, etc.

Edit - and by the way, I do NOT believe in swapping out parts. That's a no-no! You first have to do a complete series of testing to find out what's wrong. Most people ignore all the testing as they think swapping parts is faster, but then they end up wrecking their AC system in the end....

Or... you can come up here! I'm off Genlou Ct, in Chesterfield, VA, if you look it up in Google Maps.....

Last edited by Chromenut; 02 Sep 2013 at 10:36 pm.
Old 02 Sep 2013, 10:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Also, meant to mention, in the Tech section, there's a docs library I've posted with tons of info. Includes some AC stuff.

PT CRUISER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS LIBRARY

Tags
ac not working, at idle, fan not kicking on