Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2013, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission Problems

Newbie here, and not auto savvy so I apologize for any miscommunication or lack of technical terminology.

I have a 2002 PT cruiser with automatic transmission. Last week I was taking someone to the airport and as I would accelerate, the RPMs would increase however the car never switched into the next gear. I was on the freeway and had to stick to the 45mph minimum speed, so I was in the 4-5K+ rpm region. When I would take my foot off the gas, the car wouldn't coast like it usually does and decreased speed at a fast rate. This leads me to believe I was still in a low gear and have transmission problems.

I took backroads home so that I didn't have to push the RPMs ("redline") and the car has been sitting home ever since. I started "Google-ing" the problems and came across this site. (thank you all for establishing a good resource on here and also thank you in advance for reading my post and helping) I was able to pull the codes and they came back with:

P1684-Driver 5 Line 4
After reading about it on here, P1684 does not indicate a problem; it's only a status, which indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles.

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
After doing research, it sounds like I need to have the TCM read? However I am hesitant to take it to the shop and get charged out the ass (college student here) for something that some have said might just require having the transaxle flushed. (Having got the car from my aunty about 6 months ago, I doubt she took that good of care of it)

P0134 HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1
Could the O2 sensor be the cause of the transmission not changing gears?

P0442 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Small Leak Detected
P0455 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Leak Detected
Not sure what exactly the EVAP system is but could this be the problem? I read that sometimes a loose gas cap can lead to the small leak but I have made sure the cap is secure and tight. Since P0455 came up I think it has to be something greater than just the gas cap.

After calling O'reilly Auto Parts, they said that reseting the computer could help or at least make the transmission change gears until I can get it properly diagnosed and fixed. I am wondering if resetting the computer would have any negative effects? I would think that if there are problems, the check engine light should come back on and I should be able to read the same OBD codes but don't want to do anything that would be a step backwards or remove information that could help diagnose the problem.

I apologize for the lengthy post, for asking so many questions and for my naivety. Any help would be amazing. Don't know how I can repay you guys for the help but if you're ever in Hawaii and need info or a tour guide, let me know.
Old 03 Sep 2013, 02:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Problems

Quick update:

My PT Cruiser is a 2002 Automatic transmission with 114520 miles on it. It still reverses and goes into drive, just won't change gears when I accelerate.
Old 03 Sep 2013, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have the codes. Except the trans codes. You may be in limp mode. So go ahead and clear the codes. See if this helps. Evap codes could be a number of things. Check all the hoses running under the hood for cracks or lose were they connect. Find a bad end, trim it and plug it back on. Tie wraps work well also. The other possibly is the lines on the fuel tank. Not the gas lines. The ones that go to the evap system. Maybe some of the codes won't come back. That will narrow your focas.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Sep 2013, 03:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Koush, I too think your in limp mode. Plug in a scanner to get more transmission codes. Change the tranny filter and check the pan deposits. Use ATF+4 fluid only.

Busted's advice for the evap. system is the way to go.

The p-0134 might go away when you get the evap fixed.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 07:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

this may be totally off topic but when i first got my 2004 base w/auto,i took it to a car wash and washed all up under the hood and the fire wall and etc.

car started fine but would not shift out of first then second gear.pulled over and popped hood and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary,plenty of tranny fluid,so i close it and try again to at least get home.

now it stayed in first gear. pulled over again.popped the hood.this time it dawned on me that i had soaked all those relays or whatever that are,big square fuses,that are plugged in just under the windshield drivers side.

disconnected each one and sure enough,water was all up in the female end and on the fuse itself.i got a rag and dried each one,four total if i recall,and tried getting on the road,and wow!,it was shifting!

no more stops untill i got home but when i did,i pulled each fuse out and let the heat from the engine dry them out.have'nt had a problem since and hope that i don't.that was 3000+ miles ago and before i had the trans flush.

just sharing in case someone else washes their engine and does not cover those relays/fuses up w/a plastic bag-