Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
having electrical issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2013, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question having electrical issues

Hello fellow PT owners. I have a two electrical issues that I just can't figure out the problem or the solution to. If I could get any input and suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

1) When I was given the car, the door locks would lock and unlock randomly by themselves 24/7. I took the car to the dealership to do an electrical diagnostic, but nothing concrete came out. They replaced the RKE (remote keyless entry) module and remote but those didn't solve the problem. So for now, I have the wires unplugged from the RKE module, due to the fact that the constant locking and unlocking was draining my battery.

2) I noticed on my old multifunction switch, my fog lights weren't working. So this past April, I decided to buy a new one to replace it. When I did so, the fog lights started working, but then the hazards and turn signals stopped working altogether. I replaced the flasher relay on the back of the switch with 3 new ones, but they didn't help. So as of now, I'm riding around with no turn signals or hazards and I would love to have them back. Does anyone have an idea as to why they would stop working after swapping the switches?....Also, my dad and I thought it was just a blown fuse. But supposedly, when he would put a new fuse in its spot, it would blow once it was locked in place.

I love my PT to death, but she's not showing me any love back! lol. Can somebody PLEASE tell me what's going with my baby?

Last edited by PT_L01A; 03 Sep 2013 at 03:03 pm.
Old 03 Sep 2013, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: having electrical issues

If you are blowing a fuse, you have a short to ground. You need to check that circuit . I would check the plug in the column and the replacement switch. For the new problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 03 Sep 2013, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Someone else had mentioned the possibility of a short to ground as well, so I think I will check that out. I hope it works!! Much obliged!
Old 04 Sep 2013, 08:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Door locks- Check for broken wires around the door hinge area. of the front doors. Could be a chafed wire too.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 04 Sep 2013, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Roger that. I'll try to take a look at it this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions you two.

Tags
2001 limited edition, door locks, electrical problems, hazards, turn signals