PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Vent Selector Broken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2013, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Vent Selector Broken

Good Morning - This morning I discovered my vent selector is broken. It will only blow air out of the dash vents and won't let me change it to defrost or the lower vents. When I try to turn it to the windshield defrost it just springs back. Is there an easy fix for this? It would be a bummer this winter to not be able to defrost the windshield! Thanks!
Old 04 Sep 2013, 10:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Vent Selector Broken

It is cable driven so you can take the center apart and see if it has came unhooked or if the cable is binding somewhere.
Old 04 Sep 2013, 11:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ray - Thanks for the reply. Does the center console come apart easily? I am not a very mechanical person
Old 04 Sep 2013, 11:59 am
Senior Cruiser

What year Cruiser do you have? It isn't too bad at all but but knowing the year will help us give you more info to getting apart.
Old 04 Sep 2013, 04:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

On a first gen, this 'spring back' will happen if the mechanical "fresh-air" default fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancr5678 View Post
...When I try to turn it to the windshield defrost it just springs back. Is there an easy fix for this? ...
On a 2005 or older, the first thing I'd do is move the right-most control to the fresh air position. If a lever on the back side is stuck, the air-flow direction dial will not rotate to defrost (mix-defrost).

Click for close picture of back side of 2004 climate control showing metal bar that should slide (L-R) with refesh-recirc air dial. This dial should move to "fresh" automatically when selecting the 'defroster-mix' and 'defroster' positions. In the defrost modes, the bar locks out the 'recirc-air' position choice. Note the bar can block a light bulb fitting. The unseen third bulb is still harder to access.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Defrost recirc bar.jpg (77.4 KB, 20 views)

JUSTICE EASY AS BREATH

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 04 Sep 2013 at 05:04 pm. Reason: added photo attachment b'cuz we be attached to photos
Old 04 Sep 2013, 07:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Talking Re: Vent Selector Broken

On my 2006, that symptom occurs when the blend door control arm jumps time and binds up. Moving the rotary control to dash vents will cause the cable to bend right behind the panel. Once it is bent, it must be replaced, but the cause of the binding must be repaired. The dealer told me that after the first cable replacement and repair, the entire air box assembly behind the dash must be replaced. Very expensive.

The dealer fixed mine twice and I fixed it a couple more times. After the last time, I swore to come up with a fix that would prevent the operating arm from jumping time. Recently, It happened again. I installed a new cable and made up a 1/2" square piece of hard rock maple and bridged it across the steel frame that is in front of the operating arm. A couple of holes drilled through the frame and the maple was installed with 4-40 screws and T-nuts so it lays in front of the outside of the operating arm to prevent it from springing away from the door levers and jumping time. Poor design, since the operating arm is mounted and pivots from a screw at the bottom and all the operating pressure to move the two door levers is at the top. It doesn't take much lateral play to start the problem.

I apologize for not taking pix of the fix. It was only after I had the glove box back in and everything buttoned up did I think of sharing the fix with others.
Old 04 Sep 2013, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same thing happening on my 05. It turns out being the cable bends outward instead of slipping into the casing like it should. I lubed it and held the cable so it wouldn't bend... moving the selector back and forth. Once I got a lot of oil in there, I then took 3 zip ties and looped them through the hole in the arm and then around the cable in order to get rid of the free play it had with the design of the end of the arm where the cable connects. It's not a perfect fix, but it works. And better than ripping the whole dash apart to replace the cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00024.jpg (46.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 05 Sep 2013, 01:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Talking Re: Vent Selector Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToplessEdition View Post
I have the same thing happening on my 05. It turns out being the cable bends outward instead of slipping into the casing like it should. I lubed it and held the cable so it wouldn't bend... moving the selector back and forth. Once I got a lot of oil in there, I then took 3 zip ties and looped them through the hole in the arm and then around the cable in order to get rid of the free play it had with the design of the end of the arm where the cable connects. It's not a perfect fix, but it works. And better than ripping the whole dash apart to replace the cable.
The 2006 is nothing like that. Yours looks a bit more complicated. It isn't necessary to rip the dash out on the '06 just to replace the cable. Just remove the center front panel, the glovebox and retractor and then the cover over the arm. Not a lot of work but working under the dash will make you feel every muscle the next day.