PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
30K & 35K Maintenance on 2001 PT Cruiser

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2013, 08:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 30K & 35K Maintenance on 2001 PT Cruiser

I would like to know if I should only follow the recommended service in my owners manual for my 2001 PT Cruiser. The book has one thing and my dealer says I should also flush the radiator, flush the transmission, replace the wires, replace the belts in addition to what's indicated in the handbook.

The handbook says that I need to change the plugs, wires and pcv valve as well as rotate tires and change oil and filter.

If I follow the dealers recommendation it will be a $700-$800 bill.

Should I follow the dealers recommendation or should I follow the handbook recommendation?

The car has always been garaged and covered and I currently have 38K miles on the vehicle.
Old 05 Sep 2013, 08:30 am
Banned

Default Re: 30K & 35K Maintenance on 2001 PT Cruiser

It sure wouldn't hurt, probably also need to change the timing belt and water pump as well. Did it sit alot?
Old 05 Sep 2013, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLauruska View Post
I would like to know if I should only follow the recommended service in my owners manual for my 2001 PT Cruiser. The book has one thing and my dealer says I should also flush the radiator, flush the transmission, replace the wires, replace the belts in addition to what's indicated in the handbook.

The handbook says that I need to change the plugs, wires and pcv valve as well as rotate tires and change oil and filter.

If I follow the dealers recommendation it will be a $700-$800 bill.

Should I follow the dealers recommendation or should I follow the handbook recommendation?

The car has always been garaged and covered and I currently have 38K miles on the vehicle.
You already know my answer for the other thread you liked.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Sep 2013, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You received some good answers in your welcome post and like Busa asked, if it sat around most of it's life, chances are most of those things need to be done but not right away. If there's any paperwork around saying when any kind of maintenance was done last, that will help in determining what should absolutely be done now or later.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Sep 2013, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes and thank you for your advice. I also called Chrysler and they indicated that I should follow the book and flush the tranny at 50K. I have all service records since I bought the car new in 2000 and still have the owners handbook as well.

Really appreciate your advice. Thanks.
Old 07 Sep 2013, 09:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
It sure wouldn't hurt, probably also need to change the timing belt and water pump as well. Did it sit alot?

Yes, it sat in the garage with the PT Cover on it for long periods of time. I actually replaced the original battery this year. Battery was tested by a mechanic and was still "good". Nobody could believe it lasted so long but it did. I changed it anyway. Never heard of a battery lasting "13 years" but maybe I should have tried for the Guiness book of records but I didn't want to gamble on keeping that old battery. Car runs well and never had a problem and was always serviced by Chrysler dealer.

Thanks.
Old 08 Sep 2013, 04:56 am
Senior Cruiser

JL; I agree with the dealer, wait to 50,000 miles for changing the tranny fluid and tranny filter. The coolant definitely must be changed [with hoat only - red/orange colored]. Coolant flush? Don't bother unless the bottom of the reservoir tank looks dirty. Plugs? Yes. Change to RE16MC champions gapped at .040". Plug wires? Yes per Chrysler service bulletin. PCV valve too.

Look for tire 'cracking' and fill tires to the door sticker recommendation plus 2 psi. Clean battery terminals. That ought to keep you busy!!
Old 08 Sep 2013, 09:02 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
JL; I agree with the dealer, wait to 50,000 miles for changing the tranny fluid and tranny filter. The coolant definitely must be changed [with hoat only - red/orange colored]. Coolant flush? Don't bother unless the bottom of the reservoir tank looks dirty. Plugs? Yes. Change to RE16MC champions gapped at .040". Plug wires? Yes per Chrysler service bulletin. PCV valve too.

Look for tire 'cracking' and fill tires to the door sticker recommendation plus 2 psi. Clean battery terminals. That ought to keep you busy!!
pt06:

Just curious, why do you recommend to inflate the tires to the door label plus 2 pounds? Thanks.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 01:57 am
Senior Cruiser

rck; slightly better gas mileage, handling, tire wear. And the pressure usually drops slowly over time anyway.
rob342 likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 02:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Verify the age of the tires. Double check with a reputable tire dealer too. Sometimes aged rubber doesn't hold out so well. The better brands are far better naturally, but better to be safe than have a blow out.

I wouldn't disagree with a good radiator flush. Sometimes coolants can coagulate over time, and in doing so cause a reduction in flow, and heat transfer.

Tags
dealer or owners manual?