Advertisements
Help with rear wiper replacement

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2013, 08:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with rear wiper replacement

Hi all, I was a member here from forever but for some reason my old sign in won't work so I had to start a new account.
Anyway I have a 2001 Limited (original owner!) and was doing a bit of detailing and stuff the other day and decided to replace the rear wiper blade. I'm guessing it was done at the dealers previously as I don't recall doing it before although I've done the front blades a number of times.
I went to Auto Zone and got the one listed in the catalog and came home but can't for the life of me get it changed.
First of all, does the arm come out any further than a few inches? Mine stops and doesn't give you much room to mess with the old blade, much less put on a new one.
Second, is there a specific blade type I should get? The one I got doesn't look right so I'm returning it.
Is there a secret?
Anyway, my PT just hit 80000 miles and is a great car. Other than the cracked dashboard which I'm not quite sure what to do about.

Annette
Milton, GA
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help with rear wiper replacement

Annette, welcome to the forum.

I did away with the rear wiper so gotta work from memory. There's a cap in the center of the control that holds the wiper arm. Gently pry that cap off and you should see a nut that holds the whole arm on. You'll probably need a deep well socket to get the nut off, once off, the whole arm should come off, maybe with a little work by wiggling it side to side and pulling at the same time. Once the whole arm and blade is off, it's pretty easy to take the old blade off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try when I get home.

Annette
Old 06 Sep 2013, 01:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Help with rear wiper replacement

Pulling the arm socket off will scare you.
But it is tight because of the spring bending the angle of pressure, into an angled pull.
That spring-angled pressure is what keeps the arm from popping off during use; and keeps the arm sprung under pressure against the window surface.

If never been off....it will be corroded and really stuck.
(WD40, or penetrating oil will help...tapping it a little sideways.)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 10 Sep 2013, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

AdvancedAuto will replace wiper blades for free (if you buy them there, of course).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you can finagle the old one off without removing the arm. i do it all the time. seriously. i take that wiper off and use it to dry my windows after i wash my car. it seems like it won't fit off, but it comes off just fine. give it another shot think about it like one of those ring puzzles
randyincctx likes this.