PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Caution When Using Sylvania ST SilverStar Bulbs

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:03 am
Banned

Default Caution When Using Sylvania ST SilverStar Bulbs

I recently replaced the brake bulbs in the taillights of my '06 PT. After a little over a month I had to remove one of the lenses, for some reason, and that's when I noticed a hole melted in the lense at the top of the brake bulb compartment (see pic). I then removed the other lense and it had the same damage. I also discovered that both brake bulb sockets had been burnt (see pic). These were not the original sockets as I had replaced all four of them a couple of years ago. The turn signal bulb sockets did not suffer the same charring as they had a standard bulb, not a SilverStar type. I then contacted OSRAM Sylvania to see if they had received reports from anyone else as to this kind of damage. I was directed to send them the bulbs, lenses and sockets. I just received their technical report and they confirmed that their ST SilverStar bulbs can produce a little more heat than their standard Long Life bulb, and that combined with the small compartment that the brake light bulb mounts in, combined with that I use my lights all the time while driving so the brake bulb is continously lit while driving, can cause the kind of damage to the lenses that I have experienced. I was able to find replacement (aftermarket) lenses on Amazon.com for a lot less than Chrysler OEM parts, and OSRAM Sylvania is going to reimburse me for the damaged parts. I have used the Sylvania ST SilverStar bulbs in the headlights and fog lights on my vehicle for several years now with no problems, but the headlights and fog lights are a larger lense and the heat buildup should not be a problem. But I am posting this just to give everyone else a caution with these bulbs in the taillights as you may experience the same damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Light-1 - Copy.jpg (23.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Light-3 - Copy.jpg (26.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Sockets - Copy (2).jpg (38.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Turn Signal Sockets.jpg (39.6 KB, 12 views)
UptownSport likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Sep 2013 at 01:16 am.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Caution When Using Sylvania ST SilverStar Bulbs

Thanks for the information. I also use the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for the headlights and fog lights for several years without a problem. I first did the headlights which were a much brighter white light and liked the look of them. When turning on the fog lights I noticed how dull and yellow looking they were compared to the Silverstar in the headlights bulbs so immediately ran out and bought the Silverstars for the fogs.
mityqwik likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Well, it's good that you were patient and diligent enough to figure this all out and get everything replaced........
but I have to ask. Are you saying that you ride your brakes all the time while you're driving and thus overheating the bulbs, sockets and lenses?

Years ago I had an acquaintance with that bad habit. I was riding in his car with him and I asked about a trailer light bolted to the lower edge of his dash. He said he had been going round and round with his brake shop because his brakes were wearing out all the time. So they slapped on a giant "indicator" light to show him his evil ways.

I do understand that with an automatic trans, you would have to hold the brakes at red lights, etc. Was that enough to cause the damage?
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:43 am
Banned

2step:

The brake light bulbs have two filaments. When the parking lights or head lights are turned on, one filament is lit, when the brakes are used, another filament is then lit making the brake lights brighter. But it is the first filament that is on continously that can cause the heat build up, thus causing the melting of the lense.

Last edited by rckstein; 06 Sep 2013 at 09:45 am.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Caution When Using Sylvania ST SilverStar Bulbs

Normally referred to as the taillights.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 12:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Caution When Using Sylvania ST SilverStar Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
Well, it's good that you were patient and diligent enough to figure this all out and get everything replaced........
but I have to ask. Are you saying that you ride your brakes all the time while you're driving and thus overheating the bulbs, sockets and lenses?

Years ago I had an acquaintance with that bad habit. I was riding in his car with him and I asked about a trailer light bolted to the lower edge of his dash. He said he had been going round and round with his brake shop because his brakes were wearing out all the time. So they slapped on a giant "indicator" light to show him his evil ways.

I do understand that with an automatic trans, you would have to hold the brakes at red lights, etc. Was that enough to cause the damage?
Somewhat related...Back around 1960, Ford Motor Company used to publish a little booklet about the new Fords and different customer experiences. They also had service tips.

The new 1960 Ford Falcon was on the market and was Ford's entry into the economy car race. The Falcon was a small car with a small 6-cylinder engine and it gave pretty good mileage, for the day.

They told the story of a woman who had bought a new Falcon and kept bringing it back because her gas mileage was terrible. The dealer did everything they could to find something wrong and everything checked out OK. Yet, her mileage was terrible. It was believed that there was an owner problem, so the service manager asked the woman if she would take him for an observation ride. She agreed, so they both got in the car. (wait for it)

The first thing the woman did was pull out the choke knob and hang her purse on it.
Old 06 Sep 2013, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Caution When Using Sylvania ST SilverStar Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Thanks for the information. I also use the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for the headlights and fog lights for several years without a problem. I first did the headlights which were a much brighter white light and liked the look of them. When turning on the fog lights I noticed how dull and yellow looking they were compared to the Silverstar in the headlights bulbs so immediately ran out and bought the Silverstars for the fogs.
Me "three"!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 06 Sep 2013, 02:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Caution When Using Sylvania ST SilverStar Bulbs

It could have little or no bearing at all,but I noticed it was a Gen-2 Having this problem.....j/s
Old 06 Sep 2013, 05:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Randy, your bad just when the gen 2 saga had settled...lol
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 07 Sep 2013, 08:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks for posting, just shows the simplest 'mod' can get you in trouble!