Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Number 1 not firing off coil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2013, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Number 1 not firing off coil

Well just as the title says i have a 2001 and the number 1 off the coil is not firing. Its not showing any codes that would have anything to do with it. Can someone help me to what it can be. If it was the cam sensor would it not be 1&4?
Old 07 Sep 2013, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Number 1 not firing off coil

If you're sure its not the spark plug wire and wanna play "throw parts at it till its fixed" (like I do) replace the coil pack.

Do you have an aftermarket coil such as an MSD? I had one. It was the reason why I had misfiring and stalling problems. As soon as I replaced with an oem coil pack...BOOM! no more problems.
Old 07 Sep 2013, 06:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleven View Post
Well just as the title says i have a 2001 and the number 1 off the coil is not firing. Its not showing any codes that would have anything to do with it. Can someone help me to what it can be. If it was the cam sensor would it not be 1&4?
If your not getting the fire to the #1 plug. It's ether the coil , wire, or plug.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Sep 2013, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So, you don't have a tester???

I actually bought a half dozen of these, gave away 4 of them to friends and have kept two for myself. You actually can move it around, plug it onto the coil with the other end into the wire, and if you get a lite you'll know the coil is okay. You can go from the wire to the plug, then you'll know the wire and coil are okay.

Personally, I just swapped my older 8.5mm plug wires for 10.2mm racing wires, the engine started idling smoother than ever, but now I'm getting daily faults of P0302, misfire on cylinder 2. That being said, I'll be doing the same testing to see if it's actually misfiring or what...

On yours, it's hard to tell without actually going there and putting my hands on it to see if it's really working. Add to it, I'm not sure why but shouldn't it be throwing codes???
Old 09 Sep 2013, 09:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Howdy Cleven....
You are correct in wondering about the coil. If the coil had failed, I believe two cylinders would be a problem, not just one. You can switch a couple of wires to see if the problem clears up or moves to the other cylinder. Sometimes the metal connectors inside the plug wire boots have pulled loose or were not entirely seated. Check the spark plug to be sure it's seated properly. Take it out for a visual examination. Any issues such as cracking, bad or missing tips and cross threading should be apparent.

A long while back, I had a problem where the 4th plug wire (driver's side) was looping up and touching the throttlebody and even though it was a "premium" plug wire with extra thick silicone insulation, the spark burned a tiny pinhole where the touching point was, causing the plug not to fire. The coil, plugs and wires seem simple and basic but a lot of things can and do go wrong so check everything.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know if this applies but I had one leg fail on a Ford six cylinder car. Thinking they make these things the same technology. What you guys think?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

How did you determine # 1 isn't firing if there is no code?
It should trip the check engine light and log a P0301 code.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles