PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Timing Belt Broke

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2013, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Timing Belt Broke

Help Help Help, I am sooooo incredibly frustrated! Water Pump froze belt went! Replaced Belt Tensioner, Idler and water pump! Belt timing is dead on perfect, there is 150 lbs of compression strait across, everything is hooked up new plugs and wires, It does have the dreaded PO601 problem but it ran fine before the belt went even with the 601 up! It runs fine when going down the freeway but when you stop to idle it's missing spudderin and shakin! Can anyone help I'm pullin my hair out! Oh and other than the PO601 no other codes
Old 07 Sep 2013, 11:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Timing Belt Broke

ok this has been said many times and its never what any one whants to hear the timing is OFF I know you checked it and it was dead on I know it started right up I know these things I know it was in perefect time but im telling you some how it is out of time 1 tooth will make a huge difference
the next thing is to recheck all the conections you pluged and unplugged
If it ran smooth before retrace your steps but im betting its 1 tooth off
Old 07 Sep 2013, 11:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

But wouldn't then run poorly with greater rpm and the compression is spot on, it doesn't back fire or pop through the exhaust or the in take, it just runs poorly at idle and even worse at idle when at a stop
Old 07 Sep 2013, 11:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What is the solution for the PO601, new ecu and a flash!? cause Im not getting any codes and as poorly as it's running something should be coming up! Oh and I forgot it won't start with out throttle input about 1/4 down on the peddle!
Old 08 Sep 2013, 01:17 am
Banned

Lightbulb Re: 2001 Timing Belt Broke

Hi welcome to the forum FastOpel

How are you?

Where have you been?

What drew you to the pt cruiser?

Are you getting the 'thumbs up' from other drivers?

Are you in any local clubs?

Have you made any modifications?

Post some pics of your pt cruiser
Old 08 Sep 2013, 06:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post

How are you?

Where have you been?

Pay no attention to the unimportant things at this time. Well maybe the pictures. If you have any of the belt timing that would be helpful right about now. I haven't looked up the code. But you said that you had that prier to the belt change. So that leaves us with the things that have just been done. You have the classic symptoms of timing off. This is a common mistake even by the pros. So don't beat yourself up about it. But you can confirm it by removing the top cover and set #1 piston at top dead center and view the marks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 08 Sep 2013 at 06:37 am.
Old 08 Sep 2013, 09:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You have the classic symptoms of timing off. This is a common mistake even by the pros. So don't beat yourself up about it. But you can confirm it by removing the top cover and set #1 piston at top dead center and view the marks.

^^What he said! I'm not a pro, but I found it impossible to eyeball the marks on the cams and get them right. As soon as I put a straightedge through the centers of the cam bolts, I could see that the marks were off, even though they looked right the first time I put it together.
Old 08 Sep 2013, 01:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastOpel View Post
But wouldn't then run poorly with greater rpm and the compression is spot on, it doesn't back fire or pop through the exhaust or the in take, it just runs poorly at idle and even worse at idle when at a stop
You will still get good compression on the power stroke if all is well in the combustion chamber. A compression test can tell you that the piston rings are sealing properly, and that your valves are sealing as they should. However, it may not be WHEN they should be sealing.

I had a Dodge Stratus and it took me 4 tries to get it right. Every time I release the tension pulley, BAMM! Off by one tooth. Give it another go my friend.

Whenever you are working on something, and it's not like it was before, it's that something you where working on 9 out of 10 times. Heck, the company I work for spent well over $200,000 in other, unrelated parts alone just to troubleshoot something, because they (the big wigs, and the overly prideful vendors who did the install) didn't want to get another $90,000 part that was damaged in the installation. But 4 months of downtime is an expensive ego.

As to the code, a search works better when the correct ASCII character is used (O vs 0). P0601 It's a bad checksum. Internal communication error. aka bad unit.
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 08 Sep 2013, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eline65 View Post
You will still get good compression on the power stroke if all is well in the combustion chamber. A compression test can tell you that the piston rings are sealing properly, and that your valves are sealing as they should. However, it may not be WHEN they should be sealing.

I had a Dodge Stratus and it took me 4 tries to get it right. Every time I release the tension pulley, BAMM! Off by one tooth. Give it another go my friend.

Whenever you are working on something, and it's not like it was before, it's that something you where working on 9 out of 10 times. Heck, the company I work for spent well over $200,000 in other, unrelated parts alone just to troubleshoot something, because they (the big wigs, and the overly prideful vendors who did the install) didn't want to get another $90,000 part that was damaged in the installation. But 4 months of downtime is an expensive ego.

As to the code, a search works better when the correct ASCII character is used (O vs 0). P0601 It's a bad checksum. Internal communication error. aka bad unit.
OBD-II Trouble Code: P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error
That is as good a way to put it as any. This is why I have come to the conclusion to take a pictorial record to look back to to confirm or deny weather it was correct or not. I only need to look at this to rule this out for my future problems.

I only realized this after the fact myself. I only took these for the members project I have there.
eline65 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Sep 2013, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post

How are you?

Where have you been?

i don't care who you are.that's funny-
eline65 likes this.