PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Oil Consumption?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2013, 09:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Oil Consumption?

My wife owns a baseline 2006 PT Cruiser. She is a very conservative driver. The car has about 68,000 miles on it. We have owned it since new.

The car has seen Amsoil in its veins since the first or second oil change, along with an Amsoil filter.

Truthfully, I haven't been all over pulling the dipstick as often as I should, but the last dealer service resulted in a phone call saying the car was low on oil. They put in one quart to bring it to the add line, since I told them an oil change was coming up.

The last Amsoil change was in mid-May. I furnished the Amsoil and filter to a garage but they didn't record the mileage. Mathematically, based on the number of months of ownership and the odometer reading, I believe the car has been driven about 2300 miles since the last change.

Today, I pulled the stick and it was below the add line. I added one quart to bring it safe.

Perhaps I put too much faith in synthetic oils preserving engine integrity. I use Amsoil in my '06 Ram truck with slightly less mileage and it will go over 5,000 miles before any noticeable oil consumption shows on the stick. However, that engine holds 7 quarts and might not show as quickly.

I have given this a great deal of thought. Maybe this PT has always used a bit of oil and just didn't get checked between changes. Maybe it is something that only recently showed up. Maybe it needs a PCV valve. Open to suggestions. BTW, no smoke or leaks.
Old 09 Sep 2013, 09:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Consumption?

I too own an o6 and use synthetic oil since new and have to add about a quart to half a quart between oil changes. I run mine for 7000 km. and from what I have read it's normall for a car to consume a that much oil between changes. So I personally wouldn't worry to much. But u can always wait and see what someone else thinks.
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 07:09 am
Senior Cruiser

I have used Amsoil amongst other brands, but pulling the dipstick is mandatory on any car.

Running cars low on oil is the quickest way to ruin them.

if the consumption is high, I would check the PCV, crawl under the car and look at the oil pressure sensor, they can leak there or if oil is leaking from above the oil pressure sensor, it is head gakset time.
UptownSport likes this.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 10 Sep 2013, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The valve cover can leak. Without showing on the ground. The oil return on the head is in the front of the motor. As above, the oil sender could be starting to seep. But that much in that miles, I would guess its pcv related.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Modern engines last beyond their service life with modern, conventional oil.

I'm not sure what using a (supposedly) better oil would do.*

* I understand turbo engines have different lubricant requirements
Old 10 Sep 2013, 12:41 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The advise from VNT is valid for oil consumption, the PCV valve, if not functioning correctly, will cause crankcase pressure build up which in turn can force oil by the piston oil rings. Take your oil filler cap off and hold a strip of light paper over the filler hole. If the paper flutters in the PCV valve is working, if it flutters out it indicates positive pressure in the crankcase and that the PCV valve needs replacing. VNT's second advise of looking for a leak at the oil pressure sending unit would be a second discovery of a cause of oil usage. Both reasonable priced fixes. Good luck. ptprice
Old 10 Sep 2013, 09:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Oil Consumption?

I've owned two 2006 PTs; and now the 2010.
I have always used synthetic, and change oil around 4-5,000 miles.
All three have never used any appreciable oil between changes. And, one of the 2006s was a HO turbo.
So, something is definitely wrong.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 10:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have an oil use problem also,2qts between 5k changes,since new in 2001.!st 50k with Mobil 1,last 45k with Pennzoil standard,no difference in consumption rate.I gave it new head gasket,valve seals,PCV valve and a compression test with all cylinders above 200psi.No difference made.No leaks anywhere and no smoke anytime.Ive heard its the desine of the Valve cover at the PCV valve.On the plus side I always have good oil quality......
Old 16 Sep 2013, 07:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Modern engines last beyond their service life with modern, conventional oil.

I'm not sure what using a (supposedly) better oil would do.*

* I understand turbo engines have different lubricant requirements
Better oils:
- last longer for fewer oil and filter changes reducing environmental impact. Saves time.
- lower volatility to reduce oil consumption, emissions, extend catalytic converter life.
- reduce friction and drag for more performance and mpg
- easier starts at low temperatures
- better high temperature protection
Old 16 Sep 2013, 07:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Here's a bulletin on "Reasons for Motor Oil Consumption"

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...onsumption.pdf