PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
starter just clicks once....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2013, 08:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default starter just clicks once....

Gentlemen,

I have a 2002 cruiser, auto, with 85,000 miles. About 2 weeks ago when starting a little different than usual, but still started didn't think anything of it. Well last weekend, went out to dinner and all I got was ONE click at the starter, thats it. Lights, radio, everything works fine. Got it towed home and the next morning I went to change the starter, but before doing it I tried it and it started right up?? I replaced the starter anyway, took it to autozone they tested it 3 times and passed all three. The car started great for the first week then yesterday just a click again.... the starter is new, the battery is less than a year old, no codes, everything works fine, no additional aftermarket stuff added. I have read many posts where this same problem has happened but no one wrote what the final solution was. I have heard the auto shutdown relay and a park/shift relay on the tranny, but I don't just want to throw money at it (like I just did)
Please help anyone run into this before??

Hoss
Old 10 Sep 2013, 09:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: starter just clicks once....

Have you tried jumping it with another battery/car?
Check the cables to the starter.
Try pushing in on the ignition cylinder when you turn the key...
Those are a few ideas -
If you have fog lights, the switch may have gone bad and drained your battery, the ignition cylinder can become flaky, and cables/connections can corrode...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Sep 2013, 11:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: starter just clicks once....

Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight...no corrosion.

Have the battery load tested...even though it is only a year old...not unheard of for a "new" battery to die.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 06:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: starter just clicks once....

You might want to check for good contact and/or corrosion on the ground wire,terminal,and bolt for the starter,that goes on the bellhousing side.......And I'm assuming the new starter came with a new solenoid,right?