PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Key won't turn in Ignition, Impossible to replace!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2013, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Key won't turn in Ignition, Impossible to replace!

I did some research and found that a lot of other drivers experience this problem too.

Last year my key wouldn't turn in ignition, as if I was using the wrong key. I sprayed WD-40 and it worked great after a few hours. Thank GOD this was in my driveway.

We'll, yesterday was a horrific day. I drove an hour to pick up my mother from the airport and while waiting in the parking lot, all hell broke loose. The key was stuck again. I almost panicked as my mom was waiting, I couldn't get it to turn.

I tried so many methods to get the key to turn. I ended up being at the parking lot for 3 hours trying to turn the key. The WD-40 was useless this time. I lost $100 on cab fare for my mom, called a towtruck and he never showed up. I waited ANOTHER 4 hours for another towtruck and lost $300 to take it back home.

Please, no more key turning advice. I was doing that for 7 hours, my thumb is still sore (literally).

Now this is my problem:

I want to replace the ignition cylinder and/or the actuator, but I can't push the cylinder release button without the key being turned!!!

Taking it to the dealer/shop is my last option, I already lost $400 yesterday, I won't be able to afford that for another week.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Key won't turn in Ignition, Impossible to replace!

I had the same problem and needed a tow the dealer where he said a pin in the locking mechanism was broken and he was able to drill it out and replace it for about $100. If he couldn't drill and replace the pin the alternative was to completely replace the ignition switch for around $600.

I wish you luck.

Sam
Old 10 Sep 2013, 03:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i can't turn the key in my mothers minivan for the life of me. ever. i can jiggle the f@#$@n thing for an hour and never get it. she gets in, turns like butter.

have someone else try it before you tow it to the dealer. it might just save you a paycheck.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 04:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

IM SO F%&$&NG PISSED.

I took a peek inside the ignition actuator and the metal rod that goes into the starter switch is broken into pieces! Even if the key DID TURN, it still wouldn't turn on! This make sense now.

Yesterday, RIGHT before the key wouldn't turn at all, it actually turned a few times, but nothing happened, didn't go into ignition mode or crank! (no radio, windows, etc). After I kept turning the key, THEN IT LOCKED.

What the hell? I just shook out all the broken pieces inside the starter switch, stuck a flathead in it and it CRANKED. THIS TOOK ME 10 MINUTES. I was so pissed that I should have done that yesterday instead of blowing $400 in tow + 7 hours burning in the hot sun.

Well, at least I can drive it to work! My cars looks like its been stolen, hotwired, and a screwdriver sticking out the ignition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samills6 View Post
I had the same problem and needed a tow the dealer where he said a pin in the locking mechanism was broken and he was able to drill it out and replace it for about $100. If he couldn't drill and replace the pin the alternative was to completely replace the ignition switch for around $600.

I wish you luck.

Sam
Thanks for your reply. I actually considered drilling out the pin to free the cylinder earlier. I almost broke the starter switch trying to free out the broken pieces, if i knew it was about $600 I would have never touched it. lol

So now I have a broken:
- ignition cylinder, key wont turn
- ignition actuator, with a broken rod
- ignition gear shift cable that I broke yesterday during the process

I heard somewhere you can replace the cylinder using the old tumblers and same key. Is this true? Also, can the actuator be replaced with one over eBay?

Thank you.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 05:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you can get the actuator anywhere, autozone, napa, etc. Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Assembly

my actuator broke a day after i drove 100 miles to a concert with a car full of friends. i though about what would have happened if it broke a day earlier. the wimpy design made me want a permanent fix, not a stupid replacement. so 40k miles ago, i made my own. i also got rid of that stupid button you press to take the key out. lets see this break:

there are a lot of videos showing how to re-key the locks:

i tried it once on a different car and got confused(but i didn't have a video), so just left the tumblers out. i have full coverage. honestly, taking that car would have done me a favor.

Last edited by rob342; 10 Sep 2013 at 05:37 pm.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 05:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Key won't turn in Ignition, Impossible to replace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
the wimpy design made me want a permanent fix, not a stupid replacement. so 40k miles ago, i made my own. i also got rid of that stupid button you press to take the key out. lets see this break:
Didn't I see a 'How-To' on this somewhere in the 'Mods' section?........And that is a socket (looks like a 'Snap-On' brand) 3" extension,correct?
rob342 likes this.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 06:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Key won't turn in Ignition, Impossible to replace!

I finally discovered the reason my 'Radio Display' & 'Audible Chimes' were not working......This pin (circled in photo) needs to be pushed in an extra 1/16 of an inch,and then everything works great;But I haven't discovered what the actual 'fix' is yet????.......Is this what I need to do to fix my ignition,or something else?........Temporarily I've waded a little ball of 'aluminum foil',and jammed it into the matching hole in the end/cog of the key cylinder!lol

ignitionswitchpin.jpg

Last edited by randyincctx; 01 Oct 2013 at 03:00 pm.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 07:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same problem starting on my 2001 PT. It has not broke completely yet but I'm sure it will soon. Do you know if this will work for a 01 an can you post more details on how you fixed it.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 08:51 am
Regular Cruiser

My Red 01 would not turn last night, even with the other key or DW40 trick. Had it towed to Leesburg dealer. Awaiting results. Had sunroof open and drivers window 1/2 open and could not close since I had no power.

Last edited by jetmax; 01 Oct 2013 at 12:30 pm.
Old 01 Oct 2013, 12:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

It was the Tumbler in the ignition. $390 to dealer