PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding tire sensors, possible?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2013, 08:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Question Adding tire sensors, possible?

Wife usually runs with the tires empty for days before she notices...

our 2006 touring does not have the sensor, but the light is there on the dash.

Is it easy to add the sensor? Anyone done that before?
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Adding tire sensors, possible?

It's absolutely possible,and people do it everyday(Maybe not factory TPMS?)with aftermarket TPMS......But I don't think it's really a 'shade-tree' DIY project....Mostly all TPMS sensors require installation by a trained technician with the proper tooling......Here is one example: Aftermarket TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Kit with Monitor and 4 Sensors | eBay
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Adding tire sensors, possible?

It's technically possible to add the OEM TPMS, but it would be cost prohibitive due to the additional components needed. Something like what Randy linked would be your best option.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Adding tire sensors, possible?

I have seen photos of valve stem caps that have a built in gauge of some sort. Probably more primitive than technical, but it is something. Amazon has them listed. Do a Google search and you will get many hits. They are quite inexpensive.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 07:54 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392SRT8 View Post
It's technically possible to add the OEM TPMS, but it would be cost prohibitive due to the additional components needed. Something like what Randy linked would be your best option.
Lol. At my other car forum everyone is like "if you drop the engine it will be a breeze. I usually do it before breakfast every saturday" and other pearls :-)

Well, i figure a chinese system would be cheaper and trivial to install... but if the OEM can be done with a junkyard run id find it much better. Specially because its the wifes car and if i add anything else to the dash she will demand a new car anyway :-)

So, any hints on which chrysler document i will find info on servicing that receiver?
Old 16 Sep 2013, 07:57 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
I have seen photos of valve stem caps that have a built in gauge of some sort. Probably more primitive than technical, but it is something. Amazon has them listed. Do a Google search and you will get many hits. They are quite inexpensive.
Already put those :-) but it has a serious design flaw... you have to look at the tires direction... if she cant see a flat, she cant see a red dot on the steam :-(
Old 16 Sep 2013, 10:36 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
Already put those :-) but it has a serious design flaw... you have to look at the tires direction... if she cant see a flat, she cant see a red dot on the steam :-(
those were shown to be very inaccurate and i believe (according to the internet anyways)some made tires leak out of the stems, they also had some fail and cause tires to instantly go flat. anyways, if i were you i'd get rid of those things. they may be contributing to her tires getting low in the first place.
Old 16 Sep 2013, 10:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
So, any hints on which chrysler document i will find info on servicing that receiver?
Let me do some checking for you. What area of LA are you in? I ask, because to make this work, you'll need the software updated in the PT. I can do that for you.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 04:31 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
those were shown to be very inaccurate and i believe (according to the internet anyways)some made tires leak out of the stems, they also had some fail and cause tires to instantly go flat. anyways, if i were you i'd get rid of those things. they may be contributing to her tires getting low in the first place.
Nah, they are fine. Well, they are better than nothing to signal to her when the tires are bad. And I had them on the bimmer, which i use once every year. didn't have to fill those tires since i last used it some 8 mo ago. so they are not leaky. also, besides being 22psi instead of the 30something, they do seem to be in the 22psi ballpark just fine. And i got those for like $2 shipped directly from china (dealextreme.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392SRT8 View Post
Let me do some checking for you. What area of LA are you in? I ask, because to make this work, you'll need the software updated in the PT. I can do that for you.
i'm in santa monica. just tell me where you are and which brand of beer you like
Old 19 Sep 2013, 06:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
i'm in santa monica. just tell me where you are and which brand of beer you like
LOL, I make my own beer. (But I still like to drink bought beer).

My original thought was that you would need a new WCM and cluster to make this work, but after researching some of the parts, this has the potential to be possible with only a software update to both those modules and then activating the feature via the FCM/TIPM. I consulted with one of the more knowledgeable techs I know and he thinks that theoretically, this can work depending on the current modules hardware revisions. The only way to find out is to scan the vehicle and see what the current hardware and software revisions are on those modules.

Current replacement WCM's are listed as compatible with all years of 2nd gen PT's, so that is actually a good sign. Likewise, the cluster is a compatible unit for all years as well. There's no harm in playing with it and seeing if we can get it added. I can even pull one of my PT wheels off and we can use that as the trigger TPMS module to see that it registers.

The only catch is that to flash the software modules will require a subscription to Chrysler's Techauthority.com site, which costs $35. The upside to that though is that even if we can't get TPMS working, we'll get all your modules on the latest software revisions and we can add features like DRL's or one tap lane change if you want.

I work in Torrance and could do this most any time M-F. If you wanted to do something on the weekend, it would need to be in Huntington Beach.
gcb and randyincctx like this.