PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Total Restoration Program... Need Advice!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2013, 05:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Total Restoration Program... Need Advice!

So, I've owned this ten-year-old PT cruiser for six months now, and I've decided to keep it. So now, have to suss out what to do first...

If I had an unlimited budget, I'd just turn it over to a shop for "frame-up restoration". Don't have such lofty funds at present - so need to work up a reasonable build schedule/budget for the next couple of years!

I also don't personally have access to a shop with a hoist, and can only do a little very light work on the car in the parking lot of my office (tho there are plenty of tools I can borrow, since it's a company that rebuilds aircraft engines)... so in short, I'm going to try to hook up with a good local shop to do all the heavy work.

My (very vague) plan at present is
1) find out where that tiny oil leak is coming from, get it fixed.
2) search the underbody & frame for any rust, and get it repaired...
3) replace ALL the suspension bushings

What else is likely going to be necessary? What are the things that typically would crumble if left unattended on a 1st-gen PT?

Your suggestions for the most reasonable jobs to plan for are very much appreciated!

I'm trying to put together a decent 'restoration plan' - work out a preliminary budget, and then approach various local auto shops to see who might be best suited for it. (work to be carried out in phases, as budget permits...)

============================================

PS: The car currently has 147,000 km (~92,000 miles) and right now, it seems the vehicle is UP-TO-DATE on much of the scheduled maintenance according to the owner's manual.
These are the closest items that are definitely coming up... (due in xxx km)

Check Brake linings (263)
Replace Timing Belt, Water Pump, idlers (21,303)

* timing belt is debatable as the engine compartment has a "timing belt replaced" sticker with unreadable (faded) mileage. It had to have been done sometime before 110,000 km (68,000 miles)...

However, as I only have service records going back a couple of years, these other procedures are also questionable:

Code:
Flush Brake Fluid		30,000	Overdue	No History
Fuel Injector Maintenance	30,000	Overdue	No History
Replace Fuel Filter		30,000	Overdue	No History
Replace PVC makeup filter	48,000	Overdue	No History
Adjust generator belt tension	48,000	Overdue	No History
Differential Oil Change		60,000	Overdue	No History
Replace PCV Valve		60,000	Overdue	No History
Flush Radiator Fluid		96,000	Overdue	No History
Finally, to fill in the picture a little more, here is everything I currently do have service records for... (as above, mileage is in km)

Code:
Service Item				KMs	Cost	Date
Flush Transmission Fluid		110,902	$150	12-Aug-2011
Replace Front Brakes			112,438	$283	02-Sep-2011
Check Brake linings			114,960	$0	18-Oct-2011
Replace Rear brakes			114,960	$271	18-Oct-2011
Replace PCM & Oil Pressure Sender	121,885	$1,436	28-Feb-2012
Oil Change				127,868	$122	29-May-2012
Replace Air Filter			127,868	$50	29-May-2012
Oil Change				132,620	$60	31-Aug-2012
Inspect tie rod ends & boots		135,322	$160	17-Oct-2012
Check Alignment				135,322	$0	17-Oct-2012
Rotate Tires				135,322	$0	17-Oct-2012
Oil Change				141,106	$54	30-Mar-2013
Replace Air Filter			141,098	$20	30-Mar-2013
Replace ignition wires			146,697	$63	24-Aug-2013
Replace Spark Plugs			146,697	$72	24-Aug-2013
Replace Cam Position Sensor		147,260	$111	14-Sep-2013

Last edited by rockandroller; 15 Sep 2013 at 05:29 am.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 07:06 am
Banned

Default Re: Total Restoration Program... Need Advice!

Uhhhhh sounds more like you are repairing it, not a total restoration! What about paint, body, interior, exterior, engine detailing etc etc?
Old 15 Sep 2013, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you are a little to preoccupied with things that might need instead if things it does need. So figure that the be belt has 25,000 miles. Good for 75 more. So now you do the regular maintenance and enjoy. Find things and fix them as you find them. Motor mounts if needed and suspension bushings front. Valve cover are a source of leaks. Just do what you see needs done. Don't worry about the mileage so much. It's only a guideline. Change the fluids on schedule and enjoy. You could take one corner at a time and detail the suspension with some quality spray can rust prevenitive paint and make the undercarriage look new or better.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Sep 2013, 09:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well, a car is just like an aircraft in that if the airframe (body) is no good and loaded with corrosion you are wasting your time throwing money at it doing a full scale restoration (unless it is ultra rare). Don't know what the road salt situation is where you live, but around here a ten year old car with nearly 100k miles is going to have rust issues. Check the rockers and the floor pan on the driver side. If everything looks solid then go for it.
Vlefaive likes this.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 09:52 am
Senior Cruiser

What Carl and busted and even Busa said.... Enjoy your PT foremost and as the items pop up worry then.... youd be surprised how the love flows with a very thorough detailing and maybe some really nice rims and tires.. thats just my 2cents.. but since we abolished the penny, better call it a nickel
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 10:05 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
What Carl and busted and even Busa said.... Enjoy your PT foremost and as the items pop up worry then.... youd be surprised how the love flows with a very thorough detailing and maybe some really nice rims and tires.. thats just my 2cents.. but since we abolished the penny, better call it a nickel
Haha never likes the penny any way. Good riddance
2006 Cruiser, Non-Turbo, 19 inch Konig Trouble rims on 225/35/19 Ironman Imove tires, Airaid CAI, E3 Plugs, msd super conductor 8.5 mm wires, Freedon Design Strut Tower Brace, Glow Shift Pillar gauges, EBC Slotted Rotors with EBC Green Stuff Ceramic Fiber Core Pads, Lowerd on Tien springs, Full Custom Kenwood Excelon sound system with 1 12" JL Audio W0, 8000k Blue hids up top and aftermarket OEM Fogs with white 8000k in bumper. Ipcw Bermuda black true led taillights with tinted reverse lights.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crid View Post
Haha never likes the penny any way. Good riddance
Sadly as the penny diminishes, so have I. Remember they don't round down. They round up. So when I count my pennies at the end of the year. I have more cash in my hand then those who don't have them to count. I personally never had a dislike for anything considered to be currency. So I will gladly give any unwanted pennies a welcoming home. It's the least I can do for those who can't deal with them. Larger denominations also welcome as I do not discriminate
Badglas and zamfir2 like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Sep 2013, 02:09 pm
Banned

Do you roll the pennies or pay 10 cents per dollar for a coinstar voucher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Sadly as the penny diminishes, so have I. Remember they don't round down. They round up. So when I count my pennies at the end of the year. I have more cash in my hand then those who don't have them to count. I personally never had a dislike for anything considered to be currency. So I will gladly give any unwanted pennies a welcoming home. It's the least I can do for those who can't deal with them. Larger denominations also welcome as I do not discriminate
Badglas likes this.
Old 15 Sep 2013, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Do you roll the pennies or pay 10 cents per dollar for a coinstar voucher?
Roll our own. With the exception of when a friend at the bank does it free. But that is by no means a regular or guaranteed thing. So when free take the help. When it's not, roll my own. Keeps your counting skills sharp. Something most collage grades today can't do without a calculator.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Sep 2013, 10:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Total Restoration Program... Need Advice!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've lost two cars to frame rust over the years (one in Vancouver, one in Ontario) and I'm now a bit preoccupied at managing whats going on "unseen". The region this car is from does not get a whole lot of snow (as Canada goes...) so I am optimistic about the state of the underbody.
But I haven't yet had a chance to get it in somewhere and up on a hoist for inspection.

So, (budgeting being somewhat restricted in my current post-divorce poverty) I'm pondering what else might be likely once I start putting things shipshape. "Expect the Unexpected" and all that - it's good to get some tips from all of you who have 'boldly gone before'

As I'll be relying on unknown mechanics for every procedure (I'm new in town...) - the more info on 'probabilities' I have, the better off I am likely to be. I hope I can find out all those little things that should NOT be overlooked once I get it in for the first round of work.

Figuring out potential costs of the suspension and any other general "used-PT-gotcha" issues will go a long ways towards helping me budget for the fun stuff that's coming along (hopefully) soon after. Before I'm done with updating the car, it will at the very least have a new set of wheels, some kind of enhanced nav/sound system integrated into the dash (I'm pondering some kind of Android tablet build-in), and of course the 5,000 dollar PAINT JOB.
Certainly the battery cables are going to get upgraded, and I want that engine compartment to be clean enough to eat off of (and that ratty old heat shield under the hood has to go...)