Advertisements
Water Pump overheated 130K Tbelt time

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2013, 01:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Water Pump overheated 130K Tbelt time

Looks like Timing Belt and Water pump time.
A lot of steam and running hot so turned off. After cool down noticed it was wet behind belt and at bottom of belt guard (along with road). Strange that the radiator fluid was red. Hope I do not have a leak in the radiator that's causing transmission fluid to seap in.
I checked all fluids, topped off overflow tank and drove it home (10miles - 50mph) no issues. Got home overflow is low again.

Anyway I'll be putting it on jacks Saturday with wheel and belt guard off and starting it. I'm expecting to see fluid leaking

If so I guess I will order a WP kit from Amazon $102.84 shipped Gates TCKWP265 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump : Amazon.com : Automotive

Let me know what I need and any tips. I'm sure my other PT (110k) will need this next.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 02:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Water Pump overheated 130K Tbelt time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmax View Post
A lot of steam and running hot so turned off. After cool down noticed it was wet behind belt and at bottom of belt guard (along with road). Strange that the radiator fluid was red. Hope I do not have a leak in the radiator that's causing transmission fluid to seap in.
I checked all fluids, topped off overflow tank and drove it home (10miles - 50mph) no issues. Got home overflow is low again.

Anyway I'll be putting it on jacks Saturday with wheel and belt guard off and starting it. I'm expecting to see fluid leaking

If so I guess I will order a WP kit from Amazon $102.84 shipped Gates TCKWP265 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump : Amazon.com : Automotive

Let me know what I need and any tips. I'm sure my other PT (110k) will need this next.
At 130K it is MORE than highly probable that it is the timing belt(surprised you made 130K!);Also,if your sure it's the water pump that needs replacing,then of course the timing belt is definately one of those 'while your there' kinda things(along with new thermostat,and Alt & A/C belts).....Question: Was your coolant red before before the overheat situation???.....Because Dexcool(and a few others)are supposed to be red,Mopar is red/pink'ish'(not all coolants are green or yellow).......As far as any tips,or suggestions;I didn't notice on the Gates kit that you ordered,where it lists W/P gasket,or thermostat?,and as I mentioned above Alternator & A/C belts....Maybe even new crank seal?(while your there/might as well).....And of course ptcruiserlinks forum/the internet/repair manual certainly can't hurt either!......And maybe reading this thread,in particular starting on Pg. 10(at least!): Busted_PT project 1
Old 19 Sep 2013, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Water Pump overheated 130K Tbelt time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmax View Post

Take pictures before you take things off. Take picks of the timing marks and bolts and brackets. Even groups of bolts that go to a particular part or parts. So you know were it all goes when you go back together. Take a couple of pictures of all the timing marks when you put the knew one on. Start the pt with the motor still loose. In case you need to redo the belt. Look in the tech and performance section and use the how to threads there.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Sep 2013, 12:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Radiator cracked at top

No leaks by w/p, but found a radiator leak at the seam. I'm off to Advanced to pick up one for around $90 after $40 off $100 order.

20130922_120035[1].jpg
Old 22 Sep 2013, 01:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Water Pump overheated 130K Tbelt time

Great news. lesser of the evils. You should make a plan for the timing belt change before a tow bill makes that plan for you.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com